Copyright Assertion

Hammond, Glenn E

Oct 31, 2023, 7:30:18 PM10/31/23
to pflotran-dev (pflotran-dev@googlegroups.com)
Devs,

PNNL recently asserted copyright on the PFLOTRAN v5.0 source code, just like LANL did with v2.0 in 2009 and Sandia with v3.0 in 2020. These assertions have no impact on one's ability to use or modify the code under the GNU LGPL license. The license is what ensures that PFLOTRAN source code is freely available.

I was the one behind the PNNL assertion as PNNL needs the same copyright protection as LANL and Sandia (for legal action if someone violates GNU LGNL???), and I needed to release v5.0 so that it aligned with the latest release of xSDK (https://xsdk.info). I figured that I would kill two birds with one stone (v5.0 release and PNNL copyright).

PNNL prefers to assert copyright with each release (ugh!), but I can neither confirm nor deny that that will happen (get my gist?).

Glenn