Build problem of pflotran using the nix package manager

Ovaskainen Nikolas (GTK)

Aug 10, 2023, 3:47:12 PM8/10/23
to pflotr...@googlegroups.com

Hey,

I am attempting to build pflotran using nix (https://nixos.org/). I am getting the following error during building of pflotran with “make all”:

pflotran-master> /build/source/src/pflotran/hdf5_aux.F90:1923: undefined reference to `__h5lt_const_MOD_h5ltget_dataset_ndims_f'

See gist for full make.log (scroll to bottom): https://gist.github.com/nialov/528a7a6b6fbd7c27e22511407502511

I can provide more version information of all the dependencies but what I am really looking for is for some at least initial ideas on what could be the cause. hdf5 and petsc should be compiled with hdf5 bindings for instance but as I understand this is calling/linking hdf5 functions directly from pflotran.

Anyway I am not very familiar with compiling C, fortran and C++ programs so I might be missing something obvious here. I am also not expected support for the unique build system of nix, just hints/ideas on what could be going wrong.

If by some chance you have people familiar with nix, the build can be fully reproduced with this command:

nix build github:nialov/nix-extra/0b4df5a6e2eba8975b2e48cf40acf5536f13e14c#pflotran

Nikolas Ovaskainen
Research Scientist
Energy and Construction Solutions
Geological Survey of Finland GTK

P.O. Box 96 (Vuorimiehentie 5), FI-02151 Espoo, Finland
+358 50 536 1171

nikolas.o...@gtk.fi​​

www.gtk.fi I @GTK.fi

The Geological Survey of Finland provides solutions to accelerate the transition to sustainable and carbon-neutral world.
​​​​​​​
For Earth and for Us.

Hammond, Glenn E

Aug 16, 2023, 11:55:27 AM8/16/23
to pflotr...@googlegroups.com

Nikolas,

I have no experience with nix, and I do not know of any PETSc users who have used it.

Did you download and configure PETSc following the instructions for PFLOTRAN installation on Linux?

Glenn