Now accepting applicants! A paid opportunity for Black, Native, and people of color in Portland who want to learn more about jobs in the green economy

Angela Hedstrom

Apr 25, 2023, 4:27:03 PM4/25/23
to pfgen
Please share this opportunity with folks in your networks.

We are now accepting applications for the Green Workforce Academy (GWA), a 5-week paid training opportunity for Black, Indigenous and other adults of color in Portland, Oregon. Through classroom learning and hands-on work experience at field sites, you will both learn and share about the environmental issues that impact your communities. And, you’ll learn what you need to know to get green jobs that find and implement solutions to those issues. GWA aims to be a first step to a career that brings financial stability and improves community health.

When in session, we meet Monday-Thursday, 9am-3pm for 5 weeks. Each week includes 2 classroom days and 2 field days. We end each session with a graduation celebration and certificate.

2023 sessions:
  • Session 1: May 15-June 16
  • Session 2: August 7-September 8

What you can expect as a participant:
  • $1,900 stipend
  • Lunches, TriMet pass, and work boots included
  • Career coaching and mentorship during the Academy and beyond
  • Networking opportunities with some of Portland’s top employers
  • Job placement assistance

Eligibility requirements:
  • You live in the Portland area and identify as Black, Indigenous, or a person of color
  • You are at least 18 years old
  • You are interested in learning about environmental issues in your community

Info session on April 26. Attend an info session to meet GWA teachers and mentors, and to find out more about the program! Join us on Zoom:

Wednesday, April 26, 5:30-6:30pm
https://us06web.zoom.us/j/81492427085
Meeting ID: 814 9242 7085

More than 50 participants have completed the program since its start, and there are many graduates working in the green sector today. Apply now!

More questions? Contact GWA Program Manager Teresa Gaddy anytime at tga...@ecotrust.org.

The Green Workforce Academy has been made possible in part by a grant from the City of Portland, Portland Clean Energy Community Benefits Fund.