ISO of New Foster Homes for Herding Dogs

Elizabeth Mabry

Apr 29, 2021, 10:14:43 AM4/29/21
to Petworth Dogs
Hi all,

I'm new to this group. Emailing because I have recently started working with two really terrific rescue groups for herding dogs - one specifically for Australian Shepherds and one for all herding breeds (Heelers, Collies, Border Collies, Shelties, Aussies and mixes with all of these breeds).

Since adopting my herding dog in 2019, I have noticed quite a few other herders out and about in the Brightwood/Petworth neighborhood. Despite their activity level and mental stimulation needs, they seem to get adopted quite quickly in the DC area. We don't have a constant need for fosters in the area like some of the all breed rescue groups (because herders are so popular here), but we would love to have a few more foster homes lined up in the area for when we do need them. Fostering usually lasts somewhere between 3 and 5 weeks, but it varies depending on the dog. It's incredibly rewarding!

If you're interested in learning more about these organizations or what fostering entails, please do not hesitate to reach out to me!

Best,

Elizabeth