PES-CodeFest

Vinod Kumar

Dec 23, 2013, 1:28:02 PM12/23/13
to pes-ope...@googlegroups.com
Hey,
This thread is for the project PES Code Fest, an online coding competition for students. The basic functionality which we are looking for is to build an interface for admins to put up a set of questions for the students to solve using clever algorithms implemented in programming language of their choice.

Implementation Details

Admins will have the option of scheduling the contest, number of rounds in the competition, the questions in each round, point weightage for each question, time limit for each round, upload input files and corresponding output files also.
Students should register to this web app, and solve the problems by downloading the input file and feeding it to their programs (running on their system) and uploading the resulting output and the program file. The timer starts when the user downloads the input file and expires if the output is not uploaded within the given time(to test the time efficiency of the algorithm).And the
 application checks for the validity and correctness of the output uploaded by the user.
Eg. code.google.com/codejam
An alternative to this approach would be, to have the user to upload the program file instead of the output file (in which case we won't have an input file), and the test cases for this program will be handled by the server. Having an built-in IDE , so that users can code on their browsers, would be another improvement.

Any suggestions, feature additions or enhancements are welcome.

Aim of the project
  • A better understanding of existing algorithms and persuade them to design new ones.
  • To help students think more logically and less of textbook like thinking.
  • Helps students solve challenging questions in technical rounds of placement interviews.
Prerequisites: (Learn while you do)
  • HTML, CSS, Javascript for front-end
  • PHP-MySQL or ROR for back-end
Anyone interested to co-mentor or contribute to this project, please reply to this thread.
Thank You

Regards,
Vinod

Shrikrishna Holla

Dec 23, 2013, 9:33:27 PM12/23/13
to pes-ope...@googlegroups.com

I can help with the IDE portion of the project

-Regards,
Shrikrishna

--

---

Alok Shankar

Dec 23, 2013, 10:51:32 PM12/23/13
to pes-ope...@googlegroups.com

I'm can contribute with some RoR.

--
Message has been deleted

Saimadhav Heblikar

Dec 24, 2013, 5:05:08 AM12/24/13
to pes-ope...@googlegroups.com
I would like to contribute on the backend.i have coded a similar backend to quicken testing during a competition,but it was on Python.
So i am looking to contribute to the backend in RoR

Navaneeth Bhat

Dec 24, 2013, 6:39:25 AM12/24/13
to pes-ope...@googlegroups.com
I'm in for this!!

Vinod Kumar

Dec 24, 2013, 7:08:44 AM12/24/13
to pes-ope...@googlegroups.com
Let's all formally meet up some time this week to discuss about the architecture and implementation details. Please let when you guys are free.

Regards,
Vinod

Saimadhav Heblikar

Jan 7, 2014, 11:39:11 AM1/7/14
to pes-ope...@googlegroups.com
hey,happy new year to all!!
any updates on this?

regards

Vinod Kumar

Jan 7, 2014, 12:15:17 PM1/7/14
to pes-ope...@googlegroups.com
We'll start working on this from next week. If you have any ideas or enhancements, please do share it with us.

Regards,
Vinod

Abhishek Taula

Jan 30, 2014, 11:53:07 AM1/30/14
to pes-ope...@googlegroups.com
Iam learning basic html and css and wish to be of help. Anything i can do ,plz inform