[Release] Perspectives Client 4.6.4

Dave Schaefer

Jun 25, 2016, 3:48:46 PM6/25/16
to perspect...@googlegroups.com
I am happy to announce that Perspectives Client 4.6.4 has been released!

This release fixes some Perspectives internals to change where preferences are stored. It is the last fix required to get regular Perspectives updates running again through addons.mozilla.org and automatic Firefox updates.

The AMO staff were very fast and responsive, and finished our review in record time. Many thanks to them!

When you upgrade, Perspectives should automatically move your preferences and everything should look the same. However, if anyone notices issues during the upgrade or strange Perspectives behaviour, please shout! We are here to help.

Many thanks to Alexey Vesnin for the migration code used in this release. Thanks Alexey!

--

Full list of changes below

* Fix preference storage location: migrate all prefs from 'perspectives.X' to 'extensions.perspectives.X'. This is a requirement of hosting addons on addons.mozilla.org - https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/AMO/Policy/Reviews#Full_Review
All credit and thanks to Alexey Vesnin for the move and code to gracefully migrate existing user prefs. Thanks Alexey!
* Mark some tests as known failures, to identify for long-term fixing
* Add error checking for security level preference to correct invalid values
* Remove unused preference 'show_label'
* Internal code cleanup (fix === checks; remove dead code; fix addProgressListener usage)
* Add wrapper functions to retrieve preferences, overrideService, and stringbundle strings
Fixes one bug where 'root_prefs' object was not initialized;
but overall removes the need to initialize the Perspectives object at all.
It can and should handle its own internal state.
This starts to isolate the usage of direct browser internals,
which would be required to port to other browsers.
Also makes the code much more stable and testable.
* Clean up the init code to use the new wrapped preference and stringbundle functions