Project status update

Dave Schaefer

Jun 2, 2016, 1:08:05 AM6/2/16
to perspect...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone, I'd like to give a brief project update.

TLDR: I've been really busy; I'm going to try starting up work here again; thanks for your patience.

Firstly, thanks to you all for sticking with the project, being interested, and sending emails questions and suggestions. I appreciate it.

Secondly, my deepest apologies for the long delayed absence. Life has been very busy. I prefer to be a private person and not share details of my personal life, but I feel you all deserve an update as I have been silent a long time. In the past year and a half I have had a second child, started a new job, and moved to a new country. I have had almost no spare time since January 2015. This led to very few updates for Perspectives, and unfortunately unacceptably long delays dealing with some fantastic pull requests from Alexey and Gerold. This really wasn't acceptable, and my apologies for that.

Some of the dust has now settled, and life may start to return to some kind of normal. I may still not have a lot of spare time, but I will attempt to spend some of it continuing to work on Perspectives and fixing some issues so that it can be a robust product.

There is still a lot of work to be done - HTTPS, result caching, improved cryptography, and more robust notaries at least. But I still believe Perspectives has important, valuable goals and I'd like to see them through.

In the short term, I'll work to test, merge, and publish Alexey's patch for the last blocking bug[1] so Perspectives releases can continue. In the longer term I'll work on items in the Perspectives roadmap[2]. I'll post a separate email shortly with some thoughts and would love to hear your thoughts and feedback.

Thanks for being a great community, and thanks for all of your patience. Here's to a bright future creating and using something really awesome.
Dave

Dave Schaefer

Jun 20, 2016, 1:59:37 AM6/20/16
to perspect...@googlegroups.com
I am happy to note that an update for Perspectives has been uploaded! We have submitted version 4.6.4 for review by the Mozilla Addons team. We are currently position 27 in the queue.

I do not believe the next version will be available for installation until after it is reviewed and approved. When that happens it should automatically update in your browsers. I will also post another email saying it can be downloaded.

I will note this on the Roadmap and begin updating some of the servers over the next few weeks/months.

Cheers!

Dave Schaefer

Jun 25, 2016, 3:49:34 PM6/25/16
to perspect...@googlegroups.com
As noted this update is now released! Please shout if you have any trouble with the upgrade.