Perspectives project notary results

Jay

Dec 13, 2015, 8:04:26 AM12/13/15
to perspectives-dev
Hi, I am fairly new to this and not really sure if my understanding of ssl is good enough but since I started using perspective I have seen some interesting results. Some website (such as wikipedia, wireshark, twitter, facebook for example) all have consistent notary results from notary servers. However I am getting a browser key different from all the consistent results. What does this mean?

Tio Oscar

Dec 13, 2015, 8:12:03 AM12/13/15
to perspectives-dev
You mean for all sites? I have the same problem with some ones. We would have to verify if are creating the finerprints corrects.

El dom., 13 de dic. de 2015 a la(s) 10:04, Jay <zhan...@gmail.com> escribió:
Hi, I am fairly new to this and not really sure if my understanding of ssl is good enough but since I started using perspective I have seen some interesting results. Some website (such as wikipedia, wireshark, twitter, facebook for example) all have consistent notary results from notary servers. However I am getting a browser key different from all the consistent results. What does this mean?

Jay

Dec 13, 2015, 8:15:04 AM12/13/15
to perspectives-dev
No, not for all sites, only some such as those mentioned above. The SHA-1s check out with other fingerprinting methods but according to perspectives they are not the same value with other consistent results.

Tio Oscar

Dec 13, 2015, 10:31:15 AM12/13/15
to perspectives-dev
It can be a geolocation issue, twitter has 2 datacenters such solvers for different regions, so I think we should have servers on all continents, for example on my nodes, the European solves a different fingerprint that USA and Argentina.

On Facebook and wireshark, I have another key fingerprint too.

Tio Oscar

Dec 13, 2015, 10:36:56 AM12/13/15
to perspectives-dev
Also keep in mind that many servers, according the client configuration (hash and encryption algorithms supported) can change the certificate. We need to compare the server request options with Firefox and other browsers.

Jay

Dec 13, 2015, 10:55:31 AM12/13/15
to perspectives-dev
I had considered that possibility and did a check on all the notary locations, locations in south america, north america and europe all display same ssl results on websites checked (wikipedia, facebook etc)
perspectives.jpg

Adam Watkins

Dec 15, 2015, 1:56:41 PM12/15/15
to perspectives-dev
For what it's worth, my two notaries - notary.stupidpupil.co.uk and stupidpupil-notary.herokuapp.com - are both reporting the same keys as your browser. They are located in France and Ireland (I believe) respectively.