Android Development

john Gilmour

Sep 14, 2015, 3:23:17 PM9/14/15
to perspectives-dev
Hi,

I am currently a student looking at coming up with ideas for my final year project.  I Have seen perspectives and I like the idea, so much so that I would like to develop an extension to handle mobile browsers.

Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Best,

Dave Schaefer

Sep 15, 2015, 12:14:27 AM9/15/15
to perspect...@googlegroups.com
Hi John, thanks for the note. I am flattered you are considering our project :)

What size of project are you looking to tackle, and how long are you
looking to spend? Is this a 4-month school project?

I have not attempted to build the Perspectives client extension for
Android, but I think attempting it would be a great experiment. We
will likely want a different UI for mobile devices.

Some caveats:

* We are currently somewhat limited in posting client versions to
addons.mozilla.org, as we are waiting on a full review by AMO to fix
some internal architecture. We are currently position 5 in the queue
and I'm hoping this will be finished in the next few weeks.
* Once the above review is done we have another immediate update to
post, and several patches to merge in the backlog. So head code might
change significantly in the near future.
* Due to some personal life changes (we're having a baby) I may be
unavailable to help much around, say, the November-March range (exact
timeline still pending ;). Do you need someone from the project to
sign off as a mentor?

Cheers for now!

John Gilmour

Sep 15, 2015, 5:42:18 AM9/15/15
to perspect...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your prompt response - appreciated. Congratulations!

This is my undergrad dissertation that I am thinking about doing. The only problem that I can see this facing is that I have no experience with android development full stop (but I am well up for the challenge). With the world moving towards mobile, then why don't I try and build a mobile extension to this application. One of my good friends is a an IOS Developer, and has said that he is prepared to coach me in the basics. I've done programing before, but mostly in Python - how hard can Java be ?

The project, has not been formally amounted yet. I am at this stage looking at perspectives very closely indeed, and for preference my main choice. I think that this is a very clever solution, and a worthwhile cause putting my time into. Time wise: I've got the rest of my studies to be doing - so I would hope that the project takes 3-4 months from starting (once I've done all of the academic BS), etc.etc.etc.). Although, I am hoping to start it sooner rather than later.

At some point, I would appreciate to sit down with either you, or one of the others and try and work out what the scope is: and break it down into three
-Essential
-Desirable
-Extension

This way, I can then go back to the University, and know that I can do the essential stuff, which will mean that I get that top mark that I am aiming for in this project.

If you have any helpful documentation on the project in general ( I've read the academic paper, its brilliant!), or any additional resources then that would be great. Ultimately, I've got to write one of this papers - the thought of which I am dreading!

Best wishes,

John.

Carl Antuar

Sep 18, 2015, 12:04:04 AM9/18/15
to perspectives-dev
Hi, John.

Note that Mozilla is launching a new direction for browser extensions, and the new WebExtensions API is meant to be portable between mobile and desktop Firefox. So if you were to develop against the new API, then your work could potentially merge with desktop Perspectives.

On the other hand, it's not a settled API yet.