Connecting to KDB+ via an SQL client (JDBC driver)

david...@googlemail.com

Sep 12, 2013, 9:45:36 AM9/12/13
to personal...@googlegroups.com
I am trying to connect to a trial KDB+ database using an SQL client (SQuirrel SQL Client).

I have tried to use a KDB jdbc driver from here:

http://kx.com/q/c/jdbc.jar

In the SQuirrel client it as asking where the jdbc driver is added it is asking for a class name (under Java Class Path).

Any ideas what I should put in here?

Thanks

David

Charles Skelton

Sep 12, 2013, 10:00:51 AM9/12/13
to personal...@googlegroups.com
The class name is jdbc

Btw, the source is here http://kx.com/q/c/jdbc.java which uses http://kx.com/q/c/kx/c.java

Charles Skelton

Sep 12, 2013, 10:07:52 AM9/12/13
to personal...@googlegroups.com

david...@googlemail.com

Sep 12, 2013, 10:40:51 AM9/12/13
to personal...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Charles.

I have downloaded a 32bit trial version of KDB+ and installed it on a Linux server and I can access KDB+ using q:

[root@nc004422 l32]# ./q
KDB+ 3.1 2013.08.19 Copyright (C) 1993-2013 Kx Systems
l32/ 2()core 5981MB root nc004167 9.xxx.x.xxx PLAY 2013.11.17
q)4+5
9
I haven't built any tables (or database as such).

I am just trying to test that I can connect to the trial KDB+ system on the Linux server using a JDBC connection and this is where the SQuirrel client test comes in. I want to prove I have the correct KDB+ JDBC driver and connection settings.

The end goal is to be able to use the driver and connection settings to connect to KDB+ from another application that supports JDBC connectivity.

At the moment the driver has successfully loaded in Squirrel using the java class name jdbc.

Now I wish to connect to KDB+ and have put in an URL of the form: jdbc:q://localhost:19123

I have not put in a user or password. I have not created any users in KDB+ yet. Is this a problem?

Should I be able to connect to the KDB+ without a username/password?

Thanks for any help!

Charles Skelton

Sep 12, 2013, 10:44:31 AM9/12/13
to personal...@googlegroups.com
yes, by default, there is no authentication. It can be actived with the -u cmd line option, specifying a text file with username:password.