cron job of q script with timer

Angela

Jun 11, 2021, 4:31:27 AM6/11/21
to Kdb+ Personal Developers
Hi, I had a previous question about cron job of q script with timer (can't see the non-published group email.)
it seems I figured out--the way I was able to keep the q process keep running when starting from cron was to add a port number. Hmm... not sure why? (did I miss this note...?)

thanks

Nick Psaris

Jun 11, 2021, 11:42:56 AM6/11/21
to personal...@googlegroups.com
hello angela,

this is mentioned in Q Tips (p. 143).  but you are right, i can't find it detailed on the kx web site.

11.2 Server Sockets

A kdb+ server needs to start and stay running while it listens for events. When started from an interactive terminal, a kdb+ session will continue running while waiting for updates from STDIN. When used as a server, however, STDIN is closed, and the kdb+ process will exit immediately after the last command is executed. To prevent the server from exiting, we must open a server socket.

Angela

Jun 11, 2021, 11:59:20 AM6/11/21
to Kdb+ Personal Developers
Gotcha, makes sense, thanks! sounds familiar now that you have pointed to this thanks.