Login disabled

Yoan Gutiérrez Vázquez

Jun 25, 2016, 5:29:19 AM6/25/16
to persistenturls
Hello,
does anyone know how long will the purl.org login disabled?

Best regards,
Yoan

Yoan Gutiérrez Vázquez

Jun 25, 2016, 5:29:19 AM6/25/16
to persistenturls
Hello,
How long does OCLC believe the login of purl.org could be disabled?
Best regards,
Yoan

Jim

Jul 5, 2016, 5:16:56 PM7/5/16
to persistenturls
Yoan,

We have been experiencing the same message, i.e. "Sorry, the administrative interface is experiencing technical difficulties. Login capability is currently disabled."

Have you gotten any answers from OCLC or others?

thanks,

Jim Kammerer

Monica Omodei

Jul 5, 2016, 6:27:36 PM7/5/16
to persistenturls
I received this reply on June 17th from OCLC to my inquiry about when the admin UI was likely to be back online

Hi Monica,

I can’t give you a date yet, but I can assure you we are very close to a long term sustainable solution.

Sorry for the inconveniences in the mean time.

Jeff

Jim

Jul 6, 2016, 10:33:34 AM7/6/16
to persistenturls
Monica,

Thank you for the reply.  I'm also expected a reply soon from OCLC support. The obvious just occurred to me....searching on purl.org from the OCLC home page, I found this informative link about the future of PURL,   https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1511&L=DC-ARCHITECTURE&F=&S=&P=3711

Alan Ruttenberg

Jul 6, 2016, 1:10:08 PM7/6/16
to persistenturls
As we had a distict domain name that was an alias for purl.org, and we had to move forward, James Overton wrote, for the  OBO Foundry, purl.obolibrary.org, inspired also in part by the w3id effort.

It would need to be adapted for other projects but I'm mentioning it in case it might be of use to someone else on the list. It uses a different configuration system, but on the plus side none of our purls needed to change. We added a little more expressivity to the redirect syntax while we were at it.

When purl.org comes back up, I recommend that other heavy users of purls coordinate with OCLC to similarly aIias a domain name to it for some extra long-term protection.

I'm really glad to hear that OCLC is close to closing on a solution to the disruption! If it turns out there will be further development on the software itself, feel to borrow software and/or ideas.

Alan Ruttenberg

Monica Omodei

Jul 6, 2016, 4:20:09 PM7/6/16
to persist...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it's a good summary of the situation. I quoted some bits of it in a report I did for ANDS on options for persistent identifiers for vocab terms for the service they provide 'Research vocabularies Australia'.