News: Microsoft updates its "Persian (Standard)" layout

Behnam Esfahbod

Feb 5, 2014, 10:55:43 PM2/5/14
to Persian Computing
TL;DR: As discussed here before, Windows 8 added the Iranian standard Persian keyboard layout natively, but it was not in compliance with the actual ISIRI 9147 standard. Latest updates for Windows 8 fix this issue and you get ZWNJ working as expected, as well as Persian numbers instead of the ASCII ones.

The whole story is here: http://zwnj.behnam.es/2014/02/microsoft-and-persian-keyboard-layouts.html

-Behnam

--
Behnam Esfahbod | بهنام اسفهبد
http://behnam.es/

Behdad Esfahbod

Feb 6, 2014, 11:46:02 AM2/6/14
to Behnam Esfahbod, Persian Computing
Ha! That's awesome! Thanks.
> --
> --
> http://persian-computing.org/
> http://groups.google.com/group/persian-computing/
>
> ---

behdad
http://behdad.org/

mohammad...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2014, 4:06:09 AM4/1/14
to persian-...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks Behnam!
That was a big problem always for us!

Hamid

Oct 26, 2017, 12:50:31 AM10/26/17
to Persian Computing

The M$ standard keyboard secondary keys (with altgr) don't work (neither does ctrl+alt substitute). The M$ implementation is flawed.

I tried installing the Iranian Standard Keyboard but had problems after Fall Creators update. The language bar will not recognise it on load so you cannot switch to it. You have to get into settings to kick it to life every time. I would have switched to Apple long ago except I have to use Windows at work.

Connie Bobroff

Oct 26, 2017, 2:09:00 AM10/26/17
to Hamid, Persian Computing
It's true that the Persian Standard keyboard on Windows does
not work at the "third level." Luckily, you can download and
install Behnam Esfahbod's keyboard from
In recent years, it's become an unbelievable exercise in frustration
to let Microsoft know about bugs in Persian. Earlier they welcomed feedback.

On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 8:02 AM, Hamid <hbeh...@gmail.com> wrote:

The M$ standard keyboard secondary keys (with altgr) don't work (neither does ctrl+alt substitute). The M$ implementation is flawed.

I tried installing the Iranian Standard Keyboard but had problems after Fall Creators update. The language bar will not recognise it on load so you cannot switch to it. You have to get into settings to kick it to life every time. I would have switched to Apple long ago except I have to use Windows at work.

http://persian-computing.org/
http://groups.google.com/group/persian-computing/

---

hbeh...@gmail.com

Oct 27, 2017, 12:31:06 AM10/27/17
to Persian Computing
Installing the ISK from scratch seems to have done the trick.