Joined forms of Persian letters in Emacs

Masood Ghayoomi

Aug 13, 2012, 1:08:13 PM8/13/12
to persian-...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

I installed the latest version of Emacs (24.1.1) which supports bidirectional texts.
I can type Persian letters, including the 4 letters which do not exist in Arabic, and do the typing right-to-left.
The problem is that all the letters are in written in *dis-joined* form which is not an appropriate display for Persian words.
Eg: گفت is displayed as گ‌ف‌ت
Any idea how to fix it?

Best regards,
Masood Ghayoomi

Mohsen BANAN

Aug 18, 2012, 1:28:36 PM8/18/12
to Masood Ghayoomi, persian-...@googlegroups.com

Salaam Massood,

Masood> Eg: گفت is displayed as گ‌ف‌ت
Masood> Any idea how to fix it?

The default fonts that gets selected by emacs in
your environment, do not properly support shaping.

Try invoking emacs with:
/usr/local/bin/emacs -fn 'Monospace 12'

Or from the Menu: Options -> Set Default Font.

Please let me know if that solves the
problem. Thanks.

Masood> I can type Persian letters, including the 4 letters which do not exist in
Masood> Arabic, and do the typing right-to-left.

I am the author of persian.el -- Emacs 24's
Persian Input Methods.

See:

Persian Input Methods
For Emacs And More Broadly Speaking
شیوه‌هایِ درج به فارسی‌
http://www.persoarabic.org/PLPC/120036

for details. For cover to cover reading the pdf
format is better.

In addition to farsi-isiri-9147, Emacs supports a
Multi-Character (Reverse) Transliteration Persian
Input Method called: farsi-transliterate-banan.
It makes the latin keyboard an intuitive
transliteration input method for persian.

Have you tried that? --
M-x set-input-method farsi-transliterate-banan

I'd love to get more feedback on
farsi-transliterate-banan input method from fresh
users. Just read the "Short Description" on the
access page
http://www.persoarabic.org/PLPC/120036
and start using it.

The latest version of emacs on the development
trunk has Persian as a language also added to the
language menus.

Indeed, emacs is now the most powerfull and
complete user environment for perso-arabic. Far
surpassing all proprietary software.

I'll be making proper announcements for these
soon.

ارادتمند،

...محسن

Masood> Dear All,
Masood> I installed the latest version of Emacs (24.1.1) which supports bidirectional
Masood> texts.
Masood> I can type Persian letters, including the 4 letters which do not exist in
Masood> Arabic, and do the typing right-to-left.
Masood> The problem is that all the letters are in written in *dis-joined* form which
Masood> is not an appropriate display for Persian words.
Masood> Eg: گفت is displayed as گ‌ف‌ت
Masood> Any idea how to fix it?

Masood> Best regards,
Masood> Masood Ghayoomi

Mohsen BANAN

Oct 11, 2012, 11:08:27 PM10/11/12
to Masood Ghayoomi, persian-...@googlegroups.com

Masood> I installed the latest version of Emacs
Masood> (24.1.1) which supports bidirectional
Masood> texts.

Masood> The problem is that all the letters are
Masood> in written in *dis-joined* form which is
Masood> not an appropriate display for Persian
Masood> words.

Masood> Eg: گفت is displayed as گ‌ف‌ت
Masood> Any idea how to fix it?

I have captured a description of that problem and
possible causes and solutions in:

http://www.persoarabic.org/answers#emacs24ShapingProblems

Shortly after this note, I'll also send out
additional information about
PersoArabic With Emacs
and
Persian Input Methods in Emacs

Best,

...Mohsen

bo...@testedminds.com

Jun 1, 2014, 12:32:59 AM6/1/14
to persian-...@googlegroups.com, maso...@gmail.com, list-g...@mohsen.1.banan.byname.net
Font-shaping was still not working correctly for me using the 2013-03-11 default build of emacs for OS X. There was an issue filed in the build-emacs project about Persian/Arabic font-shaping. The suggested fix is to use a nightly build later than 2013-09-15. I tried out the 2014-05-31 nightly release and font-shaping works correctly using a monospace font and M-x set-input-method RET farsi-transliterate-banan.

Yet one more reason to love emacs.

خیلی ممنون، محسن

list-g...@mohsen.1.banan.byname.net

Feb 22, 2017, 2:50:32 PM2/22/17
to rohan mana, Persian Computing, maso...@gmail.com, list-g...@mohsen.1.banan.byname.net, bo...@testedminds.com

Salaam,

Here are some guesses:

1) The m17n/m17n-dev library may be missing on
your raspberrypi. You need that for shaping.

2) The font being used is not capable of being
properly shaped.

Is this a problem that you are only seeing on RPi
or are you seeing this problem on all linux
platforms?

Best,

...Mohsen

> Hi,
> I'm writing to you to check if you can help me in the following problem.

> Issue :  C# application Running in Linux via Mono Cross Compiler, displays the
> Persian and Arabic character as reversed and disconnected characters.

> Hard ware Platform :    Raspberry Pi 3 board (https://www.raspberrypi.org/)

> OS Used:  Raspbian Jessie with Pixel (https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/
> raspbian/)

> C # “windows Form application” compiles using Visual Studio 2010 Professional.

> Application name WB.exe, which I push it to Linux platform, and run through
> mono cross compiler.

> Mono (http://www.mono-project.com/)  is an open source implementation of
> Microsoft’s .Net Framework, sponsored by Microsoft.  Mono is a software
> platform designed to allow developers to easily create cross platform
> applications part of the .NET Foundation.

> I run the application in Raspberry pi as, in the terminal window ->( Sudo mono
> WB.exe).

> My Application has a Form which has label with Persian character, when I run, I
> am seeing a disconnected display

> Appreciate your inputs.

> Rohan

rohan mana

Feb 24, 2017, 2:58:18 PM2/24/17
to list-g...@mohsen.1.banan.byname.net, Persian Computing, maso...@gmail.com, bo...@testedminds.com

Wasalam.

Thankyou so much for taking the time to look into my query. Please find my answers below

  1) The m17n/m17n-dev library may be missing on
  your raspberrypi. You need that for shaping.

I installed libm17n-dev – library, as suggested, still the appearance is same, "disconnected characters".

  2) The font being used is not capable of being

  properly shaped.  ---

I tried ARIAL Unicode, MS Serif Font, as well as FARSI fonts from http://alefba.us/free-arabic-persian-farsi-urdu-kurdish-fonts/

And also changed the locale toGB_GB ISO-8859-1 and GB_GB ISO-8859-15”..... still no change in display.

3)  Is this a problem that you are only seeing on RPi

or are you seeing this problem on all linux

platforms?  --

Issue is only in RPi.  That too, only when displayed through C# application. Same label when displayed through java application works perfectly fine. And text editor also works fine.

Further i installed “https://github.com/behdad/bicon” bicon library, still the issue remains.

Is there something else i should try, is there any other cross compiler to display persian characters in a RPi on linux box.

Appreciate your valuable suggestions/inputs.

Thank you,

Fauzia Madar