ZWNJ keyboard shorcut for Win/Mac

Amir Youssefi

Aug 29, 2009, 1:13:55 PM8/29/09
to persian-computing digest subscribers
I've been away from Farsi keyboard topic for a while. What's the latest and best way of making shortcuts for non joiner in Win XP and Mac OS? I need both.

Thanks
Amir

Behnam

Aug 29, 2009, 5:38:30 PM8/29/09
to Amir Youssefi, persian-computing digest subscribers
I don't know about Win XP
On the Mac, you have three choices for keyboard layout:
-Persian
-Persian ISIRI 2901
-Persian-QWERTY
All of them have it on Shift+Space. There is no need for shortcut.
Since the keyboard output on the Mac is application independent (for the large part) most shortcuts will be applied to any application. For creating a shortcut for something the keyboard layout does not provide, you can go to:
System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts
You can then click on the plus sign (+) to create a new output for a shortcut. If that key or key combination is already taken for another task, the system warns you to relocate one of duplicates.
-b

Mahmood Amintoosi

Aug 29, 2009, 6:06:08 PM8/29/09
to Persian Computing
For WinXP, try the followings:
Shift+Space, or
Ctrl+Shift+2, or
Shift+B

If you like Shift+Space, see the following page:
http://ehsanakhgari.org/article/miscellaneous/standard-persian-keyboard-for-windows

Connie Bobroff

Aug 29, 2009, 9:37:13 PM8/29/09
to Mahmood Amintoosi, Persian Computing
Some more Windows keyboard info:

-Connie

Connie Bobroff

Aug 30, 2009, 2:00:51 PM8/30/09
to Persian Computing
Sorry the server went down--naturally--the moment I posted that link but it appears to be back up now. I also wanted to say someone needs to get after Apple to update their keyboard offerings, otherwise people who don't know what they're doing will use "character palette," the equivalent of Windows "insert character" and choose characters from the Private Use Area and hack fonts which causes endless headaches. This is a pretty big problem with Windows users. Believe it or not, I once saw a student at the University of California at Los Angeles typing an entire Persian document only with Insert Character!
-Connie

Behnam

Aug 30, 2009, 3:50:16 PM8/30/09
to Connie Bobroff, Persian Computing
I don't know about PC users but this is not really a problem with Mac users. Apple was first to offer ISIRI standard and as far as I know the new ISIRI version is still 'unofficial'. The difference between the two is minimal. I don't think someone who writes a whole document with insert character will miss the lack of Alef dagger in the old ISIRI.
Take care of your own baby Connie!
-b

Behnam Esfahbod ZWNJ

Aug 30, 2009, 4:03:06 PM8/30/09
to Behnam, Connie Bobroff, Persian Computing
Hi (other) Behnam,

The new Unicode-based keyboard layout is now an ISIRI standard and so
has been "official" for a while now, named ISIRI 9147, “Layout of
Persian Letters and Symbols on Computer Keyboards”. IIRC Windows-7 is
going to have this layout. Linux already has it (although I'm
supposed to update the meta-data). So I hope a Mac user helps Apple
to update to the new version as well.

Download links:
http://behnam.esfahbod.info/standards/isiri-keyboard-9147.pdf
http://www.isiri.org/UserStd/DownloadStd.aspx?id=9147

-Behnam (the other)
--
' بهنام اسفهبد
' Behnam Esfahbod

Behnam

Aug 30, 2009, 4:11:26 PM8/30/09
to Behnam Esfahbod ZWNJ, Connie Bobroff, Persian Computing
Okay Behnam. Thanks for the info. I'll see what I can do.
-b

Connie Bobroff

Jan 24, 2010, 11:00:03 PM1/24/10
to Behnam, Behnam Esfahbod ZWNJ, Persian Computing
Update: We locked Behnam (Mac) in his room and told him he could not come out until he had produced an ISIRI 9147 keyboard for the Mac. Here is the result:
click on "ISIRI-9147". Info here:

I also put some more installation and usage info here:

So now that problem is taken care of. Hopefully Mac will put this in the next version.
-Connie

http://groups.google.com/group/persian-computing

Ehsan Akhgari

Jan 26, 2010, 7:25:57 PM1/26/10
to Connie Bobroff, Behnam, Behnam Esfahbod ZWNJ, Persian Computing
I want to extend my appreciation to Behnam for this work.  The 2901 keyboard on Mac did not correctly handle the Shift+N combination, which was driving me crazy!  This keyboard layout fixes that, and brings on even more awesomeness!  :-)

--
Ehsan
<http://ehsanakhgari.org/>

Behnam

Jan 28, 2010, 6:11:42 PM1/28/10
to Ehsan Akhgari, Connie Bobroff, Behnam Esfahbod ZWNJ, Persian Computing
Glad you liked it Ehsan.
I took some liberty in encoding the number pad on the layout.
As I understand, ISIRI-9147 recommends using U+006B (Arabic Decimal Separator) instead of 'Period'. I expanded that logic to other keys of number pad. Multiplication sign instead of Asterisk, Division sign isntead of Solidus-Slash sign.
Also, the number pad with Option (Alt) modifier will produce Arabic numbers... just in a little goody in case you are using an Arabic font without Persian numbers!
-b

Ehsan Akhgari

Jan 28, 2010, 7:01:18 PM1/28/10
to Behnam, Connie Bobroff, Behnam Esfahbod ZWNJ, Persian Computing
On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 6:11 PM, Behnam <beh...@irmug.org> wrote:
Glad you liked it Ehsan.
I took some liberty in encoding the number pad on the layout.
As I understand, ISIRI-9147 recommends using U+006B (Arabic Decimal Separator) instead of 'Period'. I expanded that logic to other keys of number pad. Multiplication sign instead of Asterisk, Division sign isntead of Solidus-Slash sign.
Also, the number pad with Option (Alt) modifier will produce Arabic numbers... just in a little goody in case you are using an Arabic font without Persian numbers!

It's good to know, but I don't personally have a number pad to give this a try!

--
Ehsan
<http://ehsanakhgari.org/>

mes...@gmail.com

Jan 10, 2017, 12:19:18 PM1/10/17
to Persian Computing, Behnam Esfahbod, beh...@zwnj.org
I have the default Keyboard in windows as most of the people. When I want to use Ctrl+Shift+2 while typing an email in gmail, "Insert Emoji" pops as gmail assigned this key to emoji. What is your idea to get rid of it?

Masoud Abkenar

Jan 10, 2017, 5:41:24 PM1/10/17
to persian-...@googlegroups.com
What do you intend to type by pressing Ctrl+Shift+2?

This page in Persian Wikipedia is where I always go to check the status of Persian Keyboard layout in all operating systems:

https://goo.gl/lLdWEu

which links to a file hosted on http://persian-computing.org

As far as I remember (I don't use Windows), it maps ZWNJ to Shift+Space (and also to Shift+ذ), if this is what you want.

Cheers,
Masoud Abkenar
http://persian-computing.org/
http://groups.google.com/group/persian-computing/

---

Mn Zandi

Jan 10, 2017, 7:45:59 PM1/10/17
to persian-...@googlegroups.com
Google for how to change the default keyboard shortcuts in Gmail.
I didn't test it, but seems to be what you are looking for: https://goo.gl/sevx1d.

telesec retariat

Oct 9, 2023, 2:25:54 PM10/9/23
to Persian Computing

In Windows XP and macOS, creating shortcuts for the Zero-Width Non-Joiner character (ZWNJ) can be done using various methods. Here's how you can do it on both operating systems:

Windows XP:

  1. AutoHotkey (Third-party software):

    • Install AutoHotkey, a third-party automation and scripting tool.

    • Create an AutoHotkey script with a custom shortcut for ZWNJ. For example, you can use the following script to map "Ctrl + Space" to ZWNJ:

    • ^Space::Send, {U200C}
    • Save the script with a .ahk extension and run it.

  2. Built-in Keyboard Shortcuts (Limited):

    • Windows XP has limited built-in support for creating keyboard shortcuts. You can create keyboard shortcuts for applications, but not specific characters like ZWNJ.

macOS:

  1. Text Substitution (Built-in):

    • macOS has a built-in feature called "Text" or "Text Substitution" that allows you to create shortcuts for text replacement, including ZWNJ.
    • Go to "System Preferences" > "Keyboard" > "Text."
    • Click the "+" button at the bottom left to add a new substitution.
    • In the "Replace" field, enter your desired shortcut (e.g., "/zwnj").
    • In the "With" field, paste the ZWNJ character (you can copy it from elsewhere).
    • Click "Add."
    • Now, when you type "/zwnj" and press space or a punctuation mark, it will be replaced with ZWNJ.
  2. Third-Party Text Expansion Tools (Optional):

    • You can also use third-party text expansion apps like "TextExpander" or "Typinator" to create shortcuts for ZWNJ or other characters.

The macOS Text Substitution method is often the simplest and most integrated way to create shortcuts for characters like ZWNJ on macOS. Unfortunately, Windows XP lacks robust built-in text substitution features, so using third-party tools like AutoHotkey is more common for advanced customization on that platform. However, please note that Windows XP is an outdated operating system, and it's recommended to upgrade to a more recent version for better security and compatibility.

Farsi keyboard online