boosting general performance

W.S. Hager

Dec 17, 2011, 9:58:15 AM12/17/11
to persevere...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I took the risk of running persvr in a production environment, and so far I have problems with concurrent reads on a mysql type of connection. Is there any way to boost performance?

Thanks.

--

W.S. Hager
Lagua Web Solutions

W.S. Hager

Dec 19, 2011, 4:30:31 AM12/19/11
to persevere...@googlegroups.com
Using apache benchmark with 10000 connections I get very high cpu usage for node. Response times are around half a second for single records. JSON text is somewhat better than mysql, but not by much. I tried to up the processes in local.json, but I don't see new node processes. This setup is based upon the wiki example.

Kris Zyp

Dec 19, 2011, 10:25:00 AM12/19/11
to persevere...@googlegroups.com, W.S. Hager

On 12/19/2011 2:30 AM, W.S. Hager wrote:
> Using apache benchmark with 10000 connections I get very high cpu
> usage for node. Response times are around half a second for single
> records. JSON text is somewhat better than mysql, but not by much.

Have you tried turning on profiling (nodejs has a profiling option) to
analyze what parts of the code are a bottleneck?

> I tried to up the processes in local.json, but I don't see new node
> processes. This setup is based upon the wiki example.

Note that on Node 0.6 that multi-node no longer works, and Node 0.6
provides it's own multiple process facilities:
http://nodejs.org/docs/latest/api/cluster.html
However, I think there is still some things to iron out with the
inter-process communication if you need that.
Thanks,
Kris

W.S. Hager

Dec 19, 2011, 11:48:18 AM12/19/11
to Kris Zyp, persevere...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kris,

Thanks for your reply. The V8 profile log doesn't tell me a lot, and the profile package from npm is not working correctly on ubuntu. I'll look into it another time.

Running node clustered is also a nice project for next year. I see joyent is advertising everywhere for their cloud. Perhaps it would be interesting to see persevere running in there with a solid mongodb connection.

Cheers,
Wouter