80% of VTA bus panic button calls are false alarms, deputies must respond

NBC Bay Area

<news@mail.nbcbayarea.com>
Jun 28, 2024, 10:03:11 AM (2 days ago) Jun 28
to permrec@googlegroups.com
Top Headlines

Today's Top Headlines

Friday, June 28

1

80% of VTA bus panic button calls are false alarms, deputies must respond

If there is one person who understands the importance of a silent alarm button on a Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority bus, it’s VTA operator Carlos Zarate.

Recently, NBC Bay Area showed surveillance video of Zarate’s horrifying close call with a machete-wielding passenger in San Jose.

“He told me to make this U-turn or else you’re going to start bleeding. And that’s when I decided to do what he said,” Zarate said.

2

Columbet Fire in Santa Clara County: Forward progress stopped, evacuation order lifted

Crews late Thursday continued to battle a brush fire near San Martin in Santa Clara County that triggered evacuations.

At 9:15 p.m., Cal Fire reported the so-called Columbet Fire, at East Middle and Columbet avenues, was 75 percent contained and forward progress of the blaze was stopped. The evacuation order had also been lifted, Cal Fire said.

3

Biden delivers hoarse debate performance as Trump repeats familiar false claims

This live blog about the debate has ended. See full coverage of the presidential election here.

President Joe Biden and former President Donald Trump debated Thursday night in their first face-to-face match up of the 2024 general presidential election.

Biden appeared hoarse throughout the debate, with sources telling NBC News he had a cold, and sparking concerns over his physical health. Trump repeated familiar claims about the economy, crime and immigration — and debuted new false claims including one that he offered to send soldiers to end the Capitol Riot on Jan. 6, 2021.

4

San Francisco police staff up for busy Pride weekend

The San Francisco Police Department said it will be making every effort to make sure this weekend’s Pride events are safe.

The summer began with an ominous warning from federal law enforcement agencies about the possibility that terrorist groups could target large events during Pride month.

It’s a warning that has not materialized into any significant incidents so far, but police Chief Bill Scott said his department is still tracking anything that could be a problem.

5

Oakland councilmembers frustrated with budget options, express leadership concerns

As Oakland grapples with a $177 million budget deficit, councilmembers are on edge as they try to make that up.

Less than 24 hours from when they are supposed to vote on a budget to balance the deficit they were presented with a slew of new options. Janani Ramachandran, an Oakland city councilmember, said that’s unacceptable.

“I’m feeling frankly terrified at our options in front of us,” Ramachandran said. “Are we making irresponsible choices today and kicking the can down the road to whoever is on city council next year or are we going to start to make hard choices now?”

6

East San Jose to get first 4th of July fireworks show

East San Jose residents are finally getting their own Fourth of July fireworks show.

The city is sponsoring the event at Lake Cunningham Park with the hope of preventing many of the illegal shows that can cause fires or injure people.

“Growing up here in East San Jose we always had to go downtown or Almaden Lake,” San Jose Councilman Domingo Candelas said. “So being able to sponsor a show here in East San Jose for my neighbors and my families, it’s something I’m really proud of.”

Got a tip or story idea?

ti...@nbcbayarea.com

Follow NBC Bay Area

FacebookInstagramTikTok YouTube

Unsubscribe | Privacy | Terms
©2024 Copyright NBCUniversal Local, 30 Rockefeller Plaza - New York, NY 10112

App Store
Google Play