Is type 2 diabetes reversible?

Healthline: Nutrition

<newsletter@newsletter.healthline.com>
10:10 AM (12 hours ago) 10:10 AM
to permrec@googlegroups.com
Let’s take a closer look at this chronic condition.
͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­
Healthline
The Nutrition Edition
Today’s Ingredients
Nearly 12% of adults in the United States have diabetes and another 38% have prediabetes. Therefore, it’s likely that all of us are either affected by the condition or know someone who is.
As you probably already know, diabetes can lead to serious complications if not managed. But did you know that it’s possible to live with diabetes without needing insulin? Today, Leah Maschino, a registered dietitian at Healthline, is here to talk us through diabetes remission and how to reach it.
  Food to live well: 8 must-try cucumber recipes
  News to know: This diet may help boost longevity in people who had cancer
  Exercises to try: The ultimate road trip workout
Hope this helps!
Ginger Wojcik
Newsletter Editor, Healthline
  Written by Ginger Wojcik
July 23, 2024 • 3 min read
Let’s Ask the Dietitian
Q: Is type 2 diabetes reversible at all once you have it?
A: There isn’t a cure for type 2 diabetes (T2D), but you can go into remission. T2D occurs due to insulin resistance, a condition where the pancreas is unable to control the amounts of glucose in the bloodstream. Remission means you’re able to maintain blood sugar levels below the diabetes threshold without the need for insulin.

You can reach remission through ongoing lifestyle changes such as limiting carbohydrates, not skipping meals, exercising, and regularly checking your blood sugar. These management strategies can help decrease glucose levels and minimize T2D’s impact on your health.

Even in remission, you’re still at risk of developing high blood sugar and you’ll need to keep a close eye on your glucose levels, maintain healthy habits, and follow your doctor's advice.

Keep in mind that while remission isn’t always possible, T2D can be managed with lifestyle changes and medications. In fact, we have a whole newsletter dedicated to helping you live well with T2D, which you can join here.

What about people living with type 1 diabetes? That’s actually an autoimmune disease in which the body produces very little or no insulin and cannot regulate the amount of glucose in the bloodstream. While there is no cure for it, it can be managed by taking insulin.
Leah Maschino, Registered Dietitian
Want to learn more about food, diets, cooking, or some other nutrition subject? Let us know at nutritio...@healthline.com and we'll look into it for you! (Heads up, we may use your response in an upcoming newsletter.)

Based on your interests
5 Best A1C Home Test Kits of 2024
READ ON →
  5 Best A1C Home Test Kits of 2024

Kitchen Kit
Monitoring made easy

Contour Next One Blood Glucose Monitoring System
Contour Next One Blood Glucose Monitoring System
Rated by Healthline as the overall best glucose monitor in 2024, the Contour Next One is an easy-to-use, accurate, and affordable blood glucose monitoring system. According to our reviewers, this system is especially great for beginners because it’s simple and intuitive. You can also connect it to a smartphone app for further easy monitoring.
SHOP NOW
Every product we recommend has gone through either Healthline’s or Optum Store’s vetting processes. If you buy through links on this page, we may receive a small commission or other tangible benefit. Healthline has sole editorial control over this newsletter. Potential uses for the products listed here are not health claims made by the manufacturers. Healthline and Optum Store are owned by RVO Health.

the takeout
What we’re digesting
💩 5 gastrointestinal conditions that are commonly misdiagnosed. Getting a proper diagnosis may be crucial to finding the right treatment.
🫂 Resources for advanced stage prostate cancer. In addition to your team of doctors, there are people who can help you talk about other concerns.
❤️‍🩹 What are the risk factors for oxidative stress? Your environment and habits can influence how likely you are to experience it.
💪 9 best protein powders of 2024. Our dietitians and testers give their honest reviews.
Thanks for reading, everyone! I hope you have a lovely rest of your day.
Until next time,
Healthline
Take care of yourself, and we’ll see
you again soon!

This edition was powered by
vegetables.
fb   tiktok   X   youtube   insta
View in browser

Did a friend send you this email? Subscribe here.
To see all newsletters, click here.

Privacy   |   Unsubscribe

Our website services, content, and products are for informational purposes only. Healthline does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment and should not be used as a substitute for medical advice from a healthcare professional. Healthline encourages you to make any treatment decisions with your healthcare professional. Healthline is owned by RVO Health.

© 2024 RVO Health
1101 Red Ventures Drive
Fort Mill, SC 29707