Re: Digest for permaship@googlegroups.com - 3 Messages in 2 Topics

Vladimir Velikov

Aug 1, 2013, 8:33:50 AM8/1/13
to perm...@googlegroups.com
I'd spread it in thin layers on the compost pile, then cover it with stuff, so the wind doesn't blow it away.

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 3:25 PM, <perm...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/permaship/topics

    junee...@gmail.com Aug 01 04:27AM -0700

    I have not started a forest food garden yet but want to ensure I keep
    anything useful to hand.

    As a youngster I was brought up to consider ash to be a good ingredient
    of compost, layered with leaves, manure, hair, peel etc. But I have not yet
    spotted it mentioned in permaculture.

    I get ash from my petchka daily. Should I keep it to one side towards
    mulch for a future garden or spread it round the base of fruit trees as
    local people do?

    Thanks for any tips.

    "[bo]" <boby.d...@gmail.com> Jul 31 07:25AM -0700

    On Tuesday, July 30, 2013 10:54:13 PM UTC+3, tabasa wrote:
    > entrepreneurship and qualifications to publish the Permaculture Home
    > Garden by Linda Woodrow in Bulgarian.
    > <http://www.permaship.org/permakulturnata-domasna-gradina>

    Tanya, I used your book as an example in my previous post, as you've
    probably seen. It's the only one, though... and I have no information on
    the financial side of the enterprise :) So it's a nice precedent, but in
    order to be useful for anyone thinking about self-publishing, some numbers
    must be made publicly available (which may not be to everyone's liking).

    On Wednesday, July 31, 2013 7:47:36 AM UTC+3, junee...@gmail.com wrote:

    > but what of those with less access to higher education and scant access
    > to the net? Into this category come many of the backbone rural community
    > who spend their lives working with the land.

    If you're talking about Bulgarian "old timers", they're mostly a lost cause
    in regard of education. Using ebooks won't help :D Those people cannot be
    educated or their ways - changed. It's understandable - my own grandfather,
    whom I dearly love, is an example. He taught me almost everything I know
    about gardening, has worked his garden in a specific fashion for over 40
    years and won't change his ways because of a book, or worse - a pamphlet.

    I won't go into details of our (re)search for clean fruits and vegetables,
    that has shown us massive ignorance among people across the country that
    work the land and a huge reliance on chemical fertilizers and
    pesti/herbi/fungi-cides. I'm not talking about industrial farming, I'm
    talking ordinary small scale home gardens that feed a few families and
    maybe have a little something left for sale.

    I agree that it's a noble (if foolish) undertaking to try and educate
    people that for the most part don't want to be educated. I've spent a few
    years *trying* to do that, albeit in a different field of work, before I
    realized the futility and gave up. An open mind that's ready to learn will
    find its own way to knowledge.

    Back on the original topic. If anyone is willing to invest tons of time
    (and obviously - money) in a book in Bulgarian, those resources will
    probably be better spent doing the proposed "free permaculture roadshow".
    That sounds fun :)

    Cheers!

    ps: What's exciting are facts + images. Like a photo of Paul's home garden
    in the driest summer in the last 10 years (when we visited), their tomatoes
    very much alive and covered with great fruit in September (or was it
    October?) and they've watered the garden only TWO times the whole summer.
    Wow. How? Raised beds + tons of mulch. Ooooh, what's that? Read all about
    it here! People need some easy to understand real-life examples, something
    visual and practical to spark their interest and make them search for a
    more theoretical information (like a book ;) ).

    junee...@gmail.com Jul 31 09:06AM -0700

    Bo,

    I understand you about those 'old timers' set in their ways but I bet a
    few Babas with bad backs would LOVE to water only sometimes..

    Also I take your points about the wide use of pesticides etc. Lots of
    British were 'sold' their homes in BG on the ticket that everywhere there
    was 'organic' produce. Not so, sadly.

    You are right, eye-catching visuals are probably more useful than a lot
    of text in any medium.

    I think a roadshow might go down well among those young folk in the
    maxlata who will have or already have land and want to use their own
    methods rather than copy those old timer Bulgarian neighbours.. And if
    the demographic continues in the rural areas, they may be the ones working
    most of the land in the future. In a lot of cases the main ambition among
    couples under 20 is to have a little land and live off it as much as
    possible. This seems to come to a lot of other Europeans only later in life
    - because of higher education/'higher' ambitions in between.

    Some lively music for a roadshow would be nice.. Vlada Tomova, a friend,
    has just produced her first pop song and some green songs. Does wonderful
    traditional singing as well.

    On Wednesday, July 31, 2013 5:25:25 PM UTC+3, [bo] wrote:

За да се отпишете от Permaship, изпратете имейл на адрес
permaship+...@googlegroups.com

---

Vladimir Velikov

Aug 2, 2013, 8:44:13 AM8/2/13
to perm...@googlegroups.com
AFAIK, a great part of ash consists of calcium compounds (at least twice as much) compared to potash and that's how I use it if not composting it. For example when planting tomatoes I put a handful of ash first.

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 3:32 PM, <perm...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
    Ilia Rashev <iliar...@gmail.com> Aug 01 06:34PM +0300

    Depends.
    Ash is very variable in composition. We can assume that well preserved
    Ash from broad leaf wood and good combustion is around 10%(by weight)
    K (Potassium) and some other micro elements.

    Ash is widely used for a Potassium fertilized and amendment for
    improvement of the soil structure.
    It is good in compost, it helps the decomposition process, but not
    essential, it will just enrich the compost.

    Because K is essential for blooming, it is natural that fruit trees
    will benefit from ash supplementation.

    However ash is inappropriately used by many. It is very easy to wash K
    out of the ash. Ash exposed to rain or even to wind has almost no K
    left in it. That is why it is important to preserve the ash in dry
    plastic bags and when you spread it it should be worked into the soil
    immediately.
    Once in the soil, the K will bond with the soil and it will be long
    lasting supply.
    Usually K fertilization is applied once every 2-3 years in the autumn
    with the pre-winter preparations of the soil (for perennials).

    That being said, K is also very important for assimilation of N
    (Nitrogen) by the plants. That is why it is very important to use
    combined N+K fertilization. Vegetables are in whole N hungry plants.
    That is why they will benefit from adequate fertilization with K also.

    In the end, when you know the principles, your priorities should
    guide you where to allocate your resource.

    Good luck.

    Илия (Живо село)

    junee...@gmail.com Aug 01 09:23AM -0700

    Thanks so much Ilia for such an informative reply. I will stop strewing ash
    around the trees to get the nutrients washed or blown away and store it
    until
    it can be worked into soil or added to compost.

    The wood burned creating the ash is mostly from fallen branches at this
    time of year so is mixed.

    best wishes, J