Peta, Jason, I need a planting plan

Leigh Blackall

Apr 24, 2008, 4:02:40 AM4/24/08
to permaculture-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peta, everyone...

Somewhere in this course I think a planting plan was handed out. As with anything paper that is handed to me, I think it ends up as mulch quicker than I can read it. Does anyone have a planting plan for a temperate region? Specifically Dunedin if possible?
Leigh Blackall
+64(0)21736539
skype - leigh_blackall
SL - Leroy Goalpost
http://learnonline.wordpress.com

jason ross

Apr 24, 2008, 9:16:54 PM4/24/08
to permaculture-...@googlegroups.com
hi Leigh, thanks for your good questioning on the garden tour!

there are some designs in my edible and useful plants booklet is that what you are after?

Jason

Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 20:02:40 +1200
From: leighb...@gmail.com
To: permaculture-...@googlegroups.com
Subject: ::{permaculture}:: Peta, Jason, I need a planting plan

Leigh Blackall

Apr 25, 2008, 3:50:26 AM4/25/08
to permaculture-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jason,

Great to have you back. How was Australia? I went to the Waitati food festival you mentioned. It was really nice. Lovely people.

Yes. Do you think you could snap a photo of the relevant pages and attach them in an email to this group? I could (and will) buy a copy - simply so that in 10 years time I can show that I have a Jason Ross original. But for now, with the limited time I have left for possible planting (if I haven't already missed my window) It would be great to have a quick reference.

PS. Now that I know you are back, I think I'll take a drive out to Waitati. Am having difficulty finding Sorrel or Miner's lettuce.

Peta Hudson

Apr 25, 2008, 3:52:01 PM4/25/08
to permaculture-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leigh
Do you mean an actual design type of plan or a plan of what to plant
when? The latter is what I gave out in the session on zone 1 which I
think you weren't there for. I can send this to you if that's what you
are after? Grab your broad bean & pea seeds though & get planting! I
have some dwarf BB seeds collected from the gardens at Approach if you
would like I could drop them off for you next week?

Leigh Blackall

Apr 25, 2008, 4:44:42 PM4/25/08
to permaculture-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peta, that's what I need, advice on what to be planting now.

I didn't know peas would be good to go now. I recently bought a bail of pea straw and it had seeds all through it. I have collected up much of that seed and thought to plant it. But I suppose its one of those self destructing seed varieties that I won't get much from?

Winter crops

I put Broad Beans (seed), silver beet and celery (seedlings), in my zone 2 yesterday. I should perhaps put more BB in as I only planted about 20 along a trellis.

I planted seeds for baby carrots and onions in tires up in my zone 3. The potato tires worked well through summer. I got a pretty good yield considering the condition of the soil and my lateness (again) but must of all I have noticeably better soil after the potatoes. I'm hoping for great carrots and onions now, and have a theory that the tires will help keep the soil a little warmer (if that a good thing for carrots and onions?)

I put seeds for spring onions and chinese broccoli in my zone 1. I'm still looking for miners lettuce and sorrel. I also put in a range of herb seedlings (Thyme, rosemary, lemon balm, oregano, russian (tarramond?).

After all this, I'd really like for people to come around and check it out! I am totally in love with this whole process, and the fact that at the age of 32 I am finally getting to know where food comes from. As well as feeding my wife and I (hopefully) the whole process has been very therapeutic.

So Peta, if you are driving by and feel like a visit, please do stop in to taste my tomatoes :) 100 Somerville St.

Peta Hudson

Apr 26, 2008, 5:00:55 PM4/26/08
to permaculture-...@googlegroups.com
Lieigh
Wow! GOOD ON YOU!
I would love to visit ~ as a tutor of Permaculture I have just had the best feedback I could ever get!
As a person who just loves to see food growing in suburban gardens, I am just simply delighted & very interested in what you have done.
To me the 2 most important practical things we need to do is meet our energy & food needs as much as possible.
As you have said, we then also become aware of our connection & place in nature as we go through this process of exploration.That is the turning point. Once we understand & act on the inspiration that comes from that,we are on a completely different path of learning. One which, I feel, is & will, lead us to all sorts of exciting discoveries.
It's becoming more & more obvious to many that we can't leave it all up to "them". Neighbours & friends of mine, who have never gardened before,are talking about putting in some veges as food is now so expensive. The guy who owns Bloems, the pig farm on Highcliff, is losing $2000 a day now, due to the cost of grain. So the signs are being seen even here in Dunedin.
Energy descent is here & yes it's going to be a difficult time for us all but knowing what I know about Permaculture it has a lot of the solutions on many different levels both personal & practical.
Have you read David Holmgrens book " Permaculture Principles & Pathways beyond Sustainability"? He explores & expands the principles & relates them directly to now.
You've done some interesting planting for this time of the year. When did you sow the carrots, onions & celery?  Yes extra warmth is great for the carrots & onions & it's Russian Tarragon.
A tip that came from an old Taiwanese gardener, if your soil is clayey, as I think you said it was, plant cabbages. They will break it up for you. I'm not sure if its just the roots pushing through &/or if they actually change the soil through a chemical action but his daughter-in-law said it worked well in her Leith Valley garden. Potatoes will of course break it up & so let the air, water & OM through & so then make it much more attractive to the worms & micro organisms & away it goes!
I've attached the planting plan. It was compiled by Jenny Haydon who has gardened organically in Waitati & before that on Rakikura
/Stewart Is. for 20 or so years. When I came over from Aus. it was such a gift to have it.
When are you around for a visit?
Many abundant harvests to you
 Peta
PLANTING PLAN FOR THE DUNEDIN COASTAL AREA Hand out.doc

Leigh Blackall

Apr 26, 2008, 5:44:09 PM4/26/08
to permaculture-...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks Peta! I see now why my planting is odd.. it will be interesting to observe the results. I was a bit disappointed to see that in April the planting plan is at its lightest! So, perhaps its time to experiment. Its interesting to note that July and August are busy months down here. August is still very frosty and cold, I wonder why all those plants can handle August but not early Winter? Perhaps its a sunlight thing.

What you say about a change in consciousness is very true (for me). I guess anything of a holistic nature that we commit to learning about will have that affect. Just that this topic is so productive, timely and rewarding!

One thing about our darkening future is that, apart from a spiritually enriching return to land and season (we hope), we will be losing so many things in our ways of life. Far less travel and general mobility, public facilities with a lot less in the way of resources and capacity, small markets like Dunedin forced to become very self sufficient or migrate. Even though a permaculturally designed garden will help with food and some other resources, I am yet to see somewhere in Dunedin that is anywhere near self sufficient. You must know of somewhere Peta? It would be interesting to visit such a place to get an idea of how much land, investment and time is needed to achieve such a status down here.

I am always in after 4 or 5pm, and on most weekends. I'll be in today (Sunday), and at work Mon - Wed but flexible.

Perhaps we could arrange a time for Kim, yourself, Jason and I to meet and discuss the next phase of developing this course. I'd love that power meeting to be at my place :) Remember, we want to get this to a certified Permaculture Design course that is attractive locally and for distance learning, and to pin to it a strong Permaculture Practitioner course (or number of short courses). I will set up a teleconference for our colleagues around the world to join in if they can make it. How about Wednesday morning 10am NZ time (which is UTC+12)? That would be Tuesday afternoon for our friends in the Western Americas. And late Tuesday evening for our friends in Europe.

How does that sound?

Leigh Blackall

Apr 26, 2008, 6:02:49 PM4/26/08
to permaculture-...@googlegroups.com
PS. I have started a section in our Wikibook for planting plans. Attribution to Jenny as the original author of the Dunedin plan is included in the history of that particular plan.

Hope to see plans for other regions added some day, as well as links out to more info about the different plants, and comments and info about the seasons and other considerations. Wikis are very much like gardening :)

jason ross

Apr 26, 2008, 6:51:30 PM4/26/08
to permaculture-...@googlegroups.com
Hey  everyone, yeah I was on the wrong track!! Aplanting plan is a 'finished' desing of what you will plant, I think we should call the month by month list a planting schedule????

I just learned this year from Jenny Hayden that late autumn is good for onion sowing direct in a sunny outdoor seedling bed to be transplanted out in spring to rows. I have miners lettuce seed and seedlings that anyone is welcome to... and yeah sorrel too Leigh.

we are decending now into the dark, and yeah plants dont fight it!!! so thats why come august they are much more keen., as the sun grows!!! August sowings of carrots I have also learned on our garden tours work well!!! surprising eh!!

I have been meaning at some stage to update my planting plan made years ago.... the best reference I think is the Star Garden Guide, look in scribes book shop...

if you are late stick a cloche on it, a bit of bent number eight wire and that plastic off the matress or whatever!

Just harvested 10 different cultivars of apples, the late season fruit has such complex flavour!!! Epicure is amazing with red bleeding through the flesh!!!

Which tuesday for teleconference?

nice pics of your garden Leigh...

oh yeah for self sufficiency I can put you onto a guy on our garden tour who has massinve gardens, pigs, ducks, cows sheep, huge tunnel house.... yeah some investment has gone in, he very good at pushing the planting envelope!!

cherry o, J

From: jasont...@hotmail.com
To: permaculture-...@googlegroups.com
Subject: ::{permaculture}:: Re: Peta, Jason, I need a planting plan
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 01:16:54 +0000

Leigh Blackall

Apr 26, 2008, 7:30:18 PM4/26/08
to permaculture-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jason, planting schedule it is. I have changed the wiki to reflect schedule rather than plan.

As for the meeting proposal.. For us in Dunedin, the proposed time is this Wednesday morning at 10am at my house. If our friends online want to join in, then I was simply advising the time zones.. our Wednesday 10am is Tuesday in Europe and America.

If we confirm that time and location, (lucky me :) because I hope you can bring some Miner's Lettuce and Sorrel :)

Peta Hudson

Apr 27, 2008, 3:10:43 PM4/27/08
to permaculture-...@googlegroups.com
Hi There
Mmmmmmm those apples sound good! I've really been enjoying the ones we
have harvested in the Approach gardens! So good to be able to pick an
apple for lunch at work.
I'm going to try that planting of carrots! Any particular type Jason?
I can't make it on a Wednesday morn. Thurs or Fri of next week would be
fine for me

Leigh Blackall wrote:
> Thanks Jason, planting schedule it is. I have changed the wiki

> <http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Permaculture_design> to reflect schedule

> From: jasont...@hotmail.com
> <mailto:jasont...@hotmail.com>
>
> To: permaculture-...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:permaculture-...@googlegroups.com>

> Subject: ::{permaculture}:: Re: Peta, Jason, I need a planting
> plan
> Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 01:16:54 +0000
>

> hi Leigh, thanks for your good questioning on the garden tour!
>
> there are some designs in my edible and useful plants booklet
> is that what you are after?
>
> Jason

> Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 20:02:40 +1200

> From: leighb...@gmail.com <mailto:leighb...@gmail.com>
> To: permaculture-...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:permaculture-...@googlegroups.com>

> Subject: ::{permaculture}:: Peta, Jason, I need a planting
> plan
>
> Hi Peta, everyone...
>
> Somewhere in this course I think a planting plan was
> handed out. As with anything paper that is handed to me, I
> think it ends up as mulch quicker than I can read it. Does
> anyone have a planting plan for a temperate region?
> Specifically Dunedin if possible?
> --
> --
> Leigh Blackall
> +64(0)21736539
> skype - leigh_blackall
> SL - Leroy Goalpost
> http://learnonline.wordpress.com

> Click here Buy, rent, invest property online today.

> <http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http://www.allrealestate.co.nz/review/home-buying-info.html?rsf%3Dmsnnz_textlink&_t=26000&_r=REA_NZ_tagline&_m=EXT>

> Download today! Free Windows Live software. Chat, search, share

> pics and more. <http://get.live.com/>

Leigh Blackall

Apr 27, 2008, 5:02:35 PM4/27/08
to permaculture-...@googlegroups.com
Ok, How is Thursday same time? Peta when you say next week, do you mean Thursday the 1st or the 8th?

You guys in the North! You must be pruning fruit tress by now. Here's a couple of our videos on how our farmers do it down here.

Peta Hudson

Apr 28, 2008, 3:44:48 AM4/28/08
to permaculture-...@googlegroups.com
Very interesting ~ different ways we understand this week/next week ~ I
meant the 8th. Wil that suit everyone?

Leigh Blackall wrote:
> Ok, How is Thursday same time? Peta when you say next week, do you
> mean Thursday the 1st or the 8th?
>
> You guys in the North! You must be pruning fruit tress by now. Here's
> a couple of our videos

> <http://www.archive.org/details/Hortykim-OtagoPolytechnicPruningFruitTreesCentralLeader551>

> on how our farmers do it

> <http://www.archive.org/details/Hortykim-FruitTreePruningCentralOtagoOtagoPolytechnic185>

> <mailto:jasont...@hotmail.com

> > <mailto:jasont...@hotmail.com

> > <mailto:permaculture-...@googlegroups.com

> <mailto:permaculture-...@googlegroups.com>>
> > Subject: ::{permaculture}:: Re: Peta, Jason, I need a
> planting
> > plan
> > Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 01:16:54 +0000
> >

> > hi Leigh, thanks for your good questioning on the garden
> tour!
> >
> > there are some designs in my edible and useful plants
> booklet
> > is that what you are after?
> >
> > Jason

> > Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 20:02:40 +1200
> > From: leighb...@gmail.com

> <mailto:leighb...@gmail.com> <mailto:leighb...@gmail.com

> > <mailto:permaculture-...@googlegroups.com

Leigh Blackall

Apr 28, 2008, 3:57:57 AM4/28/08
to permaculture-...@googlegroups.com
:) its just that I might get hit by a bus by then, or the sky will fall, or my house will collapse..

Patience is something I've been trying to learn since the day I could talk.

Let's go for the 8th. Jason, Kim?

jason ross

Apr 28, 2008, 7:50:41 PM4/28/08
to permaculture-...@googlegroups.com

yeah thats good, what s the addressDate: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 19:57:57 +1200From: leighb...@gmail.comTo: permaculture-...@googlegroups.comSubject: ::{permaculture}:: Re: Peta, Jason, I need a planting plan:) its just that I might get hit by a bus by then, or the sky will fall, or my house will collapse..Patience is something I've been trying to learn since the day I could talk.Let's go for the 8th. Jason, Kim?

> <http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http://www.allrealestate.co.nz/review/home-buying-info.html?rsf%3Dmsnnz_textlink&_t=26000&_r=REA_NZ_tagline&_m=EXT>>

SEEK New Zealand's #1 jobsite
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fmsn%2Eseek%2Eco%2Enz%2FID%5FSEEKNZMAIN%5FUSR%2FPages%2Falliance%5Fhomepage%2Eascx%3FComeFrom%3Dmsnnz%26tracking%3Dsk%3Asptlmini%3Ask%3Amsnnz%3A0%3Awindowslive%3A%231&_t=757263783&_r=Seek_NZ_tagline_no1&_m=EXT

Leigh Blackall

Apr 28, 2008, 10:00:17 PM4/28/08
to permaculture-...@googlegroups.com
100 Somerville St
Andersons Bay

Google Map on my blog: 100somerville.blogspot.com

Kim Thomas

Apr 28, 2008, 11:08:56 PM4/28/08
to permaculture-...@googlegroups.com
Heya,
  OK so just picking up on Leigh's plan of keeping the ball rolling in regard " to a certified Permaculture Design course that is attractive locally and for distance learning, and to pin to it a strong Permaculture Practitioner course (or number of short courses). I will set up a teleconference for our colleagues around the world to join in if they can make it."
   Peta and Jason what is our first step?Who wields the permaculture power?Or rather who do we need to validate a Cert in Perm for Otago Polytechnic?
  Please get back to me asap!And Leigh, is the course in it's present form sustainable?Or was the funding it received a 1 offer?If we run another one ...when should it be team?
                                          hortykim

Kim Thomas
Technician
Department of Natural Resources
ki...@tekotago.ac.nz
021 735 498

>>> "Leigh Blackall" <leighb...@gmail.com> 27/04/2008 9:44 a.m. >>>

Peta Hudson

May 1, 2008, 2:14:18 AM5/1/08
to permaculture-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kim
You need to get in touch with Geoff Lawton at the Perma Institute. Leigh was in touch with him re the copyright issue so will have his contact. He will be able to give you all the info as he is the director now.
How about we all get a joint agenda together around what we would like to discuss?
Cheers Peta

Peta Hudson

May 21, 2008, 6:53:33 PM5/21/08
to permaculture-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leigh
This is a delayed reply to the part of your writings about our future
here in Dunedin.

"One thing about our darkening future is that, apart from a
spiritually enriching return to land and season (we hope), we will be
losing so many things in our ways of life. Far less travel and general
mobility, public facilities with a lot less in the way of resources
and capacity, small markets like Dunedin forced to become very self
sufficient or migrate. Even though a permaculturally designed garden
will help with food and some other resources, I am yet to see
somewhere in Dunedin that is anywhere near self sufficient. You must
know of somewhere Peta? It would be interesting to visit such a place
to get an idea of how much land, investment and time is needed to
achieve such a status down here."

It seems that there is no doubt that life as we know it, in the
countries taking part in the "energy ascent" process, is & will
further change. There will be dark times as you say. Many people who
have depended entirely on their needs being met through the easy &
cheap access to oil will feel the impact of it's dwindling
supply.Others who have lived on the economic margins for some part of
their lives will also but many will have "survival" skills in place
that will help such as being accustomed to buying second hand goods &
having lower aspirations to ownership of "status" goods. Then there
will be those who have seen this coming for a long time who have put
various strategies in place to as you say, to be more self sufficient
& who as a result may be cushioned to some extent. But we are all in
the same oil dependency basket.
How we as a people are going to react is a huge unknown.
I feel that the most important thing we can do now is not only
tending to our own backyard (in the smallest sense) but also to expand
outwards into a greater sense of community. If we do this we will be
creating a support system on many levels for support is what we are
all going to need.
The emotional impact is already being seen with people stealing petrol
from cars & at the pump.Fear & the stress that comes from it, will
cause many people to resort to this way of surviving.
So we not only have to look to the on & in the ground solutions but
the hand in hand ones too. One without the other will surely fail to
support us through this time of change.
Here in Dunedin I feel we have a great start. We may have been a bit
slower to take up some of the challenges but this is still a small
city (actually an optimal size for functionality on many levels).
There is a strong sense of community here & there are many
social/community organisations already with firm infrastructures &
networks some of whom are running programmes dealing with the issues
of health in the community. These have the potential to develop into
people growing food & learning about ways of living sustainably.
Our own Polytech is responding with "The Living Campus" project. Pure
Permaculture! Look at all the principles it embodies!
We have Sustainable Dunedin City a group formed last year to look at
how both peak oil & climate change will affect Dunedin & what we need
to put in place. It has many focus groups within it from housing, food
& water supply to lobbying & education. Enviro Schools is very active
with many schools involved in growing food as an educational activity
& which in time will expand into community gardens when the need
becomes more recognised.The Methodist Mission also has an edible
gardens in schools program along with the course I teach at it's
Approach adult learning centre which is focussed on
Permaculture/organics alongside helping students to find work.
The "Living Sustainably" courses have been running for some time now &
are well attended,
Convinced that Dunedin ain't such a bad place to be at a time like this?
On the climate geographical level.Yes it's a cold climate (at the
moment) & yes we are in the path of the Roaring Forties but we also
have less problems with plant diseases & insect damage than warmer
climes. We have long history of food growing. The Chinese market
gardens were abundant.
I don't know where would be the best place to be would be! For me it
all comes down to where you feel at home because that's where your
sense of place, your turangawaiwai will give you the commitment to
living as wholly as you can where you are.
As for some places to look at they are around. People living off the
grid, some with good food & other systems in place or developing,
passive solar houses & sustaianble dwellings made from renewable
resources. We could arrange some visits
At the moment Waitati is the best example I know of in our immediate
area that is developing as a sustainable community.I'm not sure if it
has taken on the mantle of a transition town but that is what it is.
You may also be interested in looking at what Oamaru is doing & little
Hampden. Some info on Oamaru at www.transitiontowns.org.nz
However we can't ever be an island we need each other some may have
honey others carrots others carpentry skills. Here we are once again
with community support as the centre pole of our well being.
Cheers Peta