Business idea for Permies and Horty students

Leigh Blackall

Sep 12, 2008, 9:00:44 PM9/12/08
to permaculture-...@googlegroups.com, otago-sust...@googlegroups.com, Kim Thomas

Innovating business greenly

By Colin Beavan aka No Impact Man on Local food only

Trevor_paque

Meet Trevor Paque. He's landscape gardener meets local food farmer. He rents himself to homeowners, but instead of planting and growing pretty flowers for them--and using the requisite water and chemicals--he grows them organic produce and leaves it in a box on their back porch.

This apropos, partly, of yesterday's post about innovation vs conservation.

It seems to me--and I get that this service is rarefied and elite--that is this the kind of innovative thinking we need from business in general? A way to improve people's lives while helping the planet? A way to make helping the planet seem cool and trendy? A way to make money doing it?

The point is there are opportunities and jobs to be had that assist the healing of the planetary habitat we depend upon for our health, happiness and security. Pitting economic well-being against the environment is just plain wrong.

PS I know, we shouldn't have to make helping the planet it cool and trendy, but it's all hands on deck, no? Besides, isn't this the quintessence of "green business?"

PPS Meanwhile, while Trevor helps the rich to grow local food, the excellent NYC organization Just Food helps neighborhoods grow good fresh, produce to which they might not otherwise have access. Check them out!

Photo courtesy of the New York Times.

Leigh Blackall
+64(0)21736539
skype - leigh_blackall