Re: ::{permaculture}:: Base Map

Benjamin Strosberg

Mar 6, 2008, 12:26:29 PM3/6/08
to permaculture-...@googlegroups.com
Comrades,

I've been a little out of the loop lately because I just moved. I am finally out on the 20 acre plot where I'm be starting this seasons permaculture project. I live here full time now. Seed planting season soon so I hope I can use this mapping/zoning idea will help figure out what seeds to order... Does anyone have advice for my next steps in a temperate zone, i.e. mapping plant beds , order seeds, germinate inside? Is that something we'll talk about later in the class?

I've been following along with all the dialog. Some jewels in there. I checked out some 3D design tools but I wasn't very impressed. The tangible map seems so true to the nature of the project though I can imagine a future with large scale permaculture being designed on a computer. As for that Second Life link you sent me Leigh... That is some scary stuff. It is pretty alienating from our earth.

For anyone who doesn't know...Second Life is a 3D role play program with a million members (residents)... It mocks day to day reality except you can do pretty much whatever you want and... oh and there is a real million US dollar economy in the game, trading hundreds of thousands everyday, stocked with digital ads and real news agencies for digital clothing companies, digital rock concerts and digital travel destinations.

It can be used as a tool, sure. To teach or to create...but it is really really scary. There's very little real connection to each other or to nature. How can anyone make the essential and joy bringing connection with the Gaia through a computer program. After reading about it I really don't want much to do with 3D computer designing. I think it tips the balance.
(note: this is all written right after the experience so I might seem to be too absolute. It is just gut feelings you might say. You see, I don't feel that from our online dialog and those people SL probably don't feel it either but some out there is stating that email dialog and classes both tip the balance.)

Anyway, I am finally finishing my base map... and don't really know how to go about my sector analysis map. Can anyone give me some pointers?

Thanks for all the good work and inspiration,

benny

Mar 16, 2008, 11:11:16 PM3/16/08
to permaculture-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Benny, somehow this post got held up in the Google world, and I saw it was pending approval for some reason..? Maybe Google doesn't like what you are saying about computer mediated communication :)

Maybe I should meet you in Second Life and try to allay some of those concerns. At the very least, its just a different interface to the way we are communicating now (or any other communication technology before it). But a little further and we could be sharing experiences like.. watching movies together, attending conferences, talking with our real voices, showing each other pictures, and sketching up some new chicken shed idea :) There is a Permaculture conference going on in Australia this month. People flew in from all over the world burning fuel all the way. Much of what they do at those conferences is done on a daily basis in Second Life - I attend education conferences in Second Life all the time. Obviously the carbon footprint of a SL conference is a lot less, but (for the experienced) the outcomes are far better!

But, let's not get distracted by such things. We won't be using SL in this course, and you have a very real need for advice on how to choose the right seeds for your area. Jason Ross talked with us here recently, I grabbed a video of him and posted the link on the wiki. He is now also in this email forum.. maybe he will be able to help...

Peta

Mar 19, 2008, 9:00:27 PM3/19/08
to Permaculture Design Course
Hello Benny
Some strategy suggestions
1.Do you have anyone around you who grows food &/or saves seed /grows
seedlings especially organically? That would be a great place to start
finding what to grow when. Failing that good seed catalogues which
have climate zones in them will help you to choose seeds that are
suitable to your area.
2. While you are mulling over what to get you could be mapping & then
putting in the beds & getting them ready for planting. The no-dig
method is very quick once you have got all your materials together.
There are lots of ways of doing this. We will be using hay, seaweed,
leaves, compost & old chicken manure. Maybe you have good soil & so
only need to check if it needs any additions or Ph adjustments? Give
it all time to settle in, say at least a couple of weeks.
3. Get your seeds going inside if you can but be aware that if you put
them on a window sill they can become very leggy as they reach for the
light. Have you considered making a cold or hot frame? It's easy to do
from waste timber & old windows & is a good way to provide your seeds
with a light warm place to grow.
4. Plant your perennial herbs & other food plants as soon as you are
able to.
A busy time ahead eh! Hope this helps!
Cheers Peta