please consider joining Community I/O (W3C Community Group)

elf Pavlik

Feb 9, 2012, 4:13:38 AM2/9/12
to permabank-dev
Hello,

Last days we started having some brainstorming in Community I/O group which I have initiated a while ago. You can see first conversations in our mailing list archive here:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-community-io/2012Feb/thread.html

and slowly emerging wiki here:
http://www.w3.org/community/community-io/wiki/Main_Page

I look forward creating together recommendations for resources & services sharing technologies, working in distributed environment - The Web itself ;) As well as keeping in mind coexistence of big number of economic systems, often with radically different approaches, as I started illustrating in 'Polyeconomy': http://polyeconomy.hackers4peace.net

BTW Melvin who develops IOU (Web Credits) also participates in our group. As well as Markus implementing Vendor Relationship Management in his 'Personal Data Store' (based on XDI) http://projectdanube.org . Our small group - 11 participants ATM - has quite a potential and I look forward to use this common ground for improving interoperability among all projects working in this field. For introductions to 'Zero Exchange' and 'Pangaia Game' you can see post of two other participants here:
http://www.w3.org/community/community-io/

How do you see in context of your work such distributed scenario (3 autonomous servers running different apps involved):
http://www.w3.org/community/community-io/wiki/Ride_Sharing

Looking forward developing together technologies supporting sharing and helping each other!
=)
~ elf Pavlik ~
--
(living strictly moneyless already for over 2 years)
http://wwelves.org/perpetual-tripper

elly

Feb 9, 2012, 12:24:23 PM2/9/12
to permab...@googlegroups.com, elf Pavlik
Hi, Elf,

Thank you for including the Permabank team in your email. I regret to say, some of the ideas in Community I/O are over my head : (

It might help everyone if you could clarify some terms and concepts (I don't even know the basics!):

  1. I/0
  2. W3C
  3. Would Permabank fit into Polyeconomy under timeshare http://polyeconomy.hackers4peace.net/systems/#timeshare ? Would the core code of Permabank be part of Community I/O? What is the code relationship?
Thanks for collaborating,
Elly

elf Pavlik

Feb 9, 2012, 12:46:57 PM2/9/12
to elly, permabank-dev
Hi Elly,

Excerpts from elly's message of 2012-02-09 17:24:23 +0000:

> Hi, Elf,
>
> Thank you for including the Permabank team in your email. I regret to
> say, some of the ideas in Community I/O are over my head : (
>
> It might help everyone if you could clarify some terms and concepts (I
> don't even know the basics!):
>

> 1. I/0
input/output
i use this for wishes/offers which belong to any system with flow of resources services no matter of how we approach accounting in it...

> 2. W3C
The World Wide Web Consortium - http://www.w3.org
where people develop HTML, CSS, XML, RDF and other web technologies

> 3. Would Permabank fit into Polyeconomy under timeshare

> http://polyeconomy.hackers4peace.net/systems/#timeshare ? Would the
> core code of Permabank be part of Community I/O? What is the code
> relationship?

To stay honest I don't understand yet how you approach accounting in your software, in Polyeconomy I encourage having available multiple ways of accounting for any given transaction. When it comes to Community I/O I just want to invite people working on VARIOUS platforms, including permabank, to find a common ground of collaboration and design software in a way giving people freedom of using multiple services. For example I will not crate my list with wishes/offers on server running permabank, communityforge, CES, wadobo timebank etc. Instead I will host it somewhere in my 'Personal Data Store', using common format (which we want to discuss in community I/O group) and than SUBSCRIBE particular wishes/offers to multiple services (sort of HUBS) which can run any software supporting recommended set of schemas and protocols.

So mostly I want to focus on using technology to give people FREEDOM of choosing which services (multiple) they want to use for their wishes/offers search/matching, as well as negotiating and recording transactions (monetary and non-monetary). While having control over THEIR data. Besides that I hope that various platforms/services this way will complement each other rather than compete...

Hope it clarifies...

elly

Feb 9, 2012, 1:10:14 PM2/9/12
to elf Pavlik, permabank-dev
So, kind of a "meta" gifting program? We'll discuss this in our next
meeting: http://titanpad.com/PteW0zTWw1
Thanks!

That sounds cool!! Thanks

elf Pavlik

Feb 9, 2012, 1:30:03 PM2/9/12
to elly, permabank-dev
Excerpts from elly's message of 2012-02-09 18:10:14 +0000:

> So, kind of a "meta" gifting program? We'll discuss this in our next
> meeting: http://titanpad.com/PteW0zTWw1
> Thanks!

great! i'll see if i can join in...
btw why you don't use http://notes.occupy.net/ ? ;)

elly

Feb 9, 2012, 1:31:26 PM2/9/12
to elf Pavlik, permabank-dev
cool....will use notes next time!

Devin Balkind

Feb 10, 2012, 1:57:11 AM2/10/12
to permab...@googlegroups.com, elf Pavlik
Hi Elf - I joined the Community I/O list and listed the resources you mentioned on http://wiki.occupy.net/wiki/PermaBank_Concepts#W3C_Community_I.2FO
--
Devin Balkind
@devinbalkind

elly

Feb 13, 2012, 3:21:12 AM2/13/12
to permab...@googlegroups.com, Devin Balkind, elf Pavlik
I may be the only one on, but, the call will be held! Hope it doesn't
conflict with anything else.

Thanks!

Devin Balkind

Feb 13, 2012, 3:57:50 AM2/13/12
to elly, permab...@googlegroups.com, elf Pavlik
Hi Elly.  I'll try to be on the call.  I'll also be in SF for a few days starting tomorrow.  You live in Oakland, right?  Let's meet up!

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 3:21 AM, elly <urbanpub...@gmail.com> wrote:
I may be the only one on, but, the call will be held! Hope it doesn't conflict with anything else.

Thanks!

David Judd

Feb 13, 2012, 7:44:59 AM2/13/12
to permab...@googlegroups.com, elly, elf Pavlik
Can't make it tonight - sorry.

-David

Keka Marzagao

Feb 13, 2012, 11:08:32 AM2/13/12
to permab...@googlegroups.com
I can be on the call tonight. Can you send info on how to connect? Thanks!
keka

Crux

Feb 13, 2012, 12:19:11 PM2/13/12
to permab...@googlegroups.com
I'll try to make the call tonight to check in and see if there's anything I can help out with.

Crux

David Judd

Feb 13, 2012, 12:24:25 PM2/13/12
to permab...@googlegroups.com
Keka - you're a UX person, right? I don't know about you, Crux. But either way, I think the major open UX work is the gift fulfillment and wish fulfillment workflows. The other open tickets fit relatively simply into the existing UI, I think.

If there are any questions people have for me that I can try to answer now by email, please say so.

-David

elly

Feb 13, 2012, 3:08:42 PM2/13/12
to permab...@googlegroups.com
Scheduled Start Date: Monday, January 30, 2012

Scheduled Start Time: 5:00 PM Pacific Std Time

End Time: 6:25 PM Pacific Std Time

Number of Participants: 15

Type of Conference: Web-Scheduled Standard

Participant Access Code: 9318522

titanpad agenda: http://titanpad.com/PteW0zTWw1

Keka Marzagao

Feb 13, 2012, 7:59:12 PM2/13/12
to permab...@googlegroups.com
Hi David! Yeah, I'm more of a visual designer but I can certainly help w that as well! I'll look into those workflows this week! Does the Nycga login work at better means now? I'll try!

I wont make it for the call in time, sorry. I'll try to call in when I get home anyway to see if plp r still around.

Keka

Sent from my iPhone

Evan Wagner

Feb 13, 2012, 8:10:09 PM2/13/12
to permab...@googlegroups.com, permab...@googlegroups.com
Hey all, sorry, stuck in mtg- keep up the good work... ; b

Evan
reStorAtiVE

elly

Feb 13, 2012, 8:22:52 PM2/13/12
to permab...@googlegroups.com, Evan Wagner, Dana Skallman
Evan,

There is no good work. People who were ever on a functional software team would know that.

I was wondering how you were put in charge of the project, and what you intend to do to make it succeed? Also, what happened to Dana, who also wanted to be involved?

Evan Wagner

Feb 13, 2012, 8:56:15 PM2/13/12
to permab...@googlegroups.com, permab...@googlegroups.com, Dana Skallman
Elly,

I'm sorry you feel this way.  I do not know quite what to say beyond what I have said before- we are all doing our best.  While I am indeed very passionate about and consider myself a major stakeholder in this project, I am by no means "in charge" of it.  That said, I have been very consumed by my involvement with occupy.com, the work for which is actually very valuable to Permabank and will probably be a major place to push it forward, not to mention it getting me back on my feet and into an apartment, so please try to be patient.

Solidarity,

Evan
reStorAtiVE

Keka Marzagao

Feb 14, 2012, 1:27:09 AM2/14/12
to permab...@googlegroups.com
Hey, can someone add me to the Permabank team at Better Means? Thanks!
keka :)

David Judd

Feb 14, 2012, 4:33:05 AM2/14/12
to permab...@googlegroups.com
While you're at it, it would be great if you could add me.

-David

Dana Skallman

Feb 14, 2012, 12:44:31 PM2/14/12
to permab...@googlegroups.com
Hey Everyone,

I made the team changes on BetterMeans, so everyone should be on there now: http://collaborate.occupy.net/projects/2. Let me know if I missed anyone and I'll add them, you will need to have an account created for me to do link you.

I am sorry I wasn't able to make the call last night.

There are two things, that are happening now. One is finishing up the bug/fixes to get alpha website out. I think David is basically carrying this on his own. At the same time we are working on building a new dev team and getting more organized on the project. That involves several aspects, getting a proposal written, reaching out to developers through our networks and organizing the wiki and tasks so we can track progress. I think having the calls in place in helpful for updates and getting more people involved. Part of that requires us to reach out to new places, not just this list. Many of us are working n several projects, some of which are going to be live soon. However, there are also those on the list that may not speak up as often monitoring progress and searching for ways to get involved. I ask that we be mindful of everyone when we are communicating with everyone. The key aspect here is building a core team based on the network of trust and those who commit at whatever capacity they are able to and are accountable to that. (A discussion of this was started here: http://ideas.occupy.net/25/how-should-we-select-moderators-for-this-site).

Thanks all!

elly

Feb 14, 2012, 1:02:16 PM2/14/12
to permab...@googlegroups.com, Dana Skallman
Thanks for the update, Dana. I apologize for being somewhat frustrated. I definitely left my heart in NYC and wish I was there. But, I'm out in sunny la-la land instead. Sometimes, it's hard to keep up with things just via emails, reading posts, etc. Glad Bettermeans is still evolving.