Fwd: Free as in Freedom Cloud Services

1 view

Devin Balkind

Feb 7, 2012, 1:38:17 PM2/7/12
to permab...@googlegroups.com
Webcredits.org looks interesting and possibly relevant to permabank.

DWB

Begin forwarded message:

From: Sepp Hasslberger <se...@lastrega.com>
Date: February 7, 2012 11:06:02 AM EST
To: building-a-distributed...@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Free as in Freedom Cloud Services

On Feb 6, 2012, at 8:15 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

I've started to develop a network architecture for the exchange of
tokens between agents, hopefully to be standarized in the W3C Web
Payments group.  Codename "Web Credits".

http://webcredits.org/

It assumes money is debt and provides a global web scale architecture
to provide an data architecture for accounting.  Arbitrarily many
workflows, apps and UI can be built on top for any platform.

The design goal is to reuse existing technologies as much as possible
and keep the spec under 2 pages.

Melvin, do you have a description of Web Credits in story form, using terms that would be understandable to the people who aren't programmers?

What I am looking for is some page/article that just tells the story of how you imagine web credits to be used, how they would relate to existing currencies, and what advantages people could obtain from the existence and the use of web credits?

Kind regards
Sepp

elly

Feb 7, 2012, 3:26:05 PM2/7/12
to permab...@googlegroups.com
http://titanpad.com/PteW0zTWw1

More reminders will be sent.

Are the calls scheduled in tech ops? I'm not sure I can create them.
http://www.nycga.net/groups/tech/events/

Also, do we have "Permabank developer" on the tech help wanted list?

David Judd

Feb 7, 2012, 3:53:12 PM2/7/12
to permab...@googlegroups.com

elly

Feb 7, 2012, 4:35:43 PM2/7/12
to permab...@googlegroups.com, David Judd
I added it to the agenda: http://titanpad.com/PteW0zTWw1

Devin Balkind

Feb 7, 2012, 5:04:47 PM2/7/12
to permab...@googlegroups.com

Devin Balkind

Feb 8, 2012, 1:14:39 PM2/8/12
to permab...@googlegroups.com
Is it worth connecting with these people?

DWB

Begin forwarded message:

From: Melvin Carvalho <melvinc...@gmail.com>
Date: February 8, 2012 4:13:50 AM EST
To: building-a-distributed...@googlegroups.com

On 8 February 2012 09:57, Sepp Hasslberger <se...@lastrega.com> wrote:
On Feb 7, 2012, at 5:34 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

On 7 February 2012 17:06, Sepp Hasslberger <se...@lastrega.com> wrote:

On Feb 6, 2012, at 8:15 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

I must admit we're a little light on story presentations, at present.
Currently focusing on getting some code finished to demo.

The first app will be a distributed IOU system.  We've (the unhosted
and opentabs team) joined forces with the mozilla incubted verese
project.  Here's the splash pages of the two projects

http://verese.net/
http://opentabs.net/

If you click on verese there's a video explaining the rationale for an
IOU system.

Hopefully we'll have the alpha of the first app ready this month.

Does that help.

It does help to understand the situation you are in, but not to do what I intended - which was to bring some news about this to a larger circle of people.

I understand that the production of code is important, but on the other hand, public relations work, spreading the word about what is being done, is not exactly *un*important. So whenever there is time to put down the ideas and the rationale for what's being done in generally understandable terms, please do give us a heads-up.

No, I think you're absolutely right.  I'm not the greatest skilled in
advocacy, but always like to try and improve and learn from others.
Now that we have the first alpha kind of ready, we can concentrate a
bit more on explaining things.

I suppose the paradigm people are most used to is that of online banking.

In online banking just as in web credits you have 3 concepts

1 Line Items
============

When viewing your statement you can see a credit or debit from another party.

A web credit models this almost exactly.  Two counterparties, an
amount, a currency, a description and a time

2 Balance
==========

A balance is simply a summation of of your line items

Actually it boils down to an IOU from the bank to you.

3 Transfers
==========

The data structure for transfer is exactly the same as that of a line item.

So you can send it to other wallets just like you do with in online banking.

With these simple concepts it should be build up complex workflows and
integrate existing ecosystems.

Kind regards
Sepp

Evan Wagner

Feb 8, 2012, 7:57:28 PM2/8/12
to permab...@googlegroups.com
YES, most definitely, but right away?
--
Evan Wagner
reStorAtiVE

elly

Feb 8, 2012, 8:38:04 PM2/8/12
to permab...@googlegroups.com
It's good to see the idea of peer-to-peer IOU payments is going mobile and open source. Are you suggesting we grab the code (API?) for Perma?