Feedback on MediaWiki::Bot

Frances Hocutt

Jul 15, 2014, 6:22:11 PM7/15/14
to perlw...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

As a part of my internship project, I have prepared a "gold
standard"[1] to be used to find and advertise particularly
well-designed and easy-to-use MediaWiki web API client libraries. As a
further part of my project I have evaluated the available Perl
libraries against this standard and suggested additions and changes
that would help these libraries meet the standard.

My evaluation for MediaWiki::Bot is posted here.[2] I was particularly
impressed by the wide range of available methods and the plentiful
example and level of detail in the documentation. I suggest that the
documentation would benefit from a big-picture overview, that the code
would be more readable if split into several shorter files, and that
consistently using constants instead of bare numbers would improve
code robustness and ease of debugging.

I will follow up by posting my suggestions to the GitHub issue tracker
later this week. If you have comments or questions, please feel free
to post on the talk page[3], respond to the issues filed, or make
corrections on the evaluation page if I've missed something.

-Frances Hocutt
MediaWiki intern

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Client_code/Gold_standard
[2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Client_code/Evaluations/MediaWiki-Bot