perl 5.10 rebless is very slow

Brian Brunswick

Sep 22, 2011, 7:27:44 AM9/22/11
to perlbal
So I've been digging into performance issues on our servers.

We're still using perlbal 1.72 with a bunch of custom patches we
haven't got around to pulling forward. This is with debian squeeze.

It seems as though the rebless operations being used twice on each
request are each taking about 1ms to run. This is restricting the
performance to 300/sec or so. There is conditional code in
Perlbal::Util::Rebless that does extra stuff on perl>=5.10, which is
what we have, so I kind of suspect this would have been ok on 5.8

So is this something that anyone else has already tackled? I can't see
obvious mention in changelogs, but I might be missing something.
Please stand up and say there's an easy fix for this in the new
versions!

Thanks!

Brian Brunswick

Sep 22, 2011, 7:35:18 AM9/22/11
to perlbal
On Sep 22, 12:27 pm, Brian Brunswick <brian.brunsw...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> So I've been digging into performance issues on our servers.
>
> We're still using perlbal 1.72 with a bunch of custom patches we
> haven't got around to pulling forward. This is with debian squeeze.

Actually, the particular server I was looking at is still on lenny.
That's perl 5.10.0. Can I hope that the squeeze version 5.10.1 makes a
difference?