Subtle change to SIGCHLD polling

Rocco Caputo

Oct 6, 2013, 5:05:40 PM10/6/13
to poe@perl.org List
If you're using POE for process management, then I may have made a change that affects you. It's especially relevant to people using _signal to handle SIGCHLD, people using SIGCHLD polling (legacy Perl users who don't trust "safe signals"), and people using a MSWin32 Perl like ActiveState or Strawberry.

Please review the change in the repository and give it a spin before it ends up on CPAN. The build you save may be your own.

https://github.com/rcaputo/poe/commit/d3cb2fbfb53799ab22754b900fc47af703758910

commit d3cb2fbfb53799ab22754b900fc47af703758910
Author: Rocco Caputo <rca...@cpan.org>
Date: Sun Oct 6 16:58:28 2013 -0400

Fix a "Kernel has child processes" warning even when it doesn't.

Michel Schrameck reported that the above warning was coming from a
very simple, obviously not fork()ing test program. I was able to
reproduce the problem with the test case when USE_SIGCHLD was turned
off. This fix changes the way first polling of SIGCHLD happens. It
passes all known tests, but it may negatively affect older programs.
Please report any problems.

--
Rocco Caputo <rca...@pobox.com>