Advanced cooking

Declan Malone

Sep 13, 2013, 9:23:37 PM9/13/13
to p...@perl.org
Hi,

I've written a program that takes various recipes from the Cookbook and packs them together into a complete program (Meal?). I'm interested in contributing it somewhere in the site as an example of using POE. It's less than 1,000 lines of code and has embedded POD as well as being reasonably well commented. The link is:
http://declanmalone.com/code/diskd
Please advise on whether you think it's suitable for submission to the site, and what is the process for doing so.
Thanks,
dec.

Declan Malone

Sep 17, 2013, 1:41:50 AM9/17/13
to p...@perl.org
On 17 September 2013 04:12, Rocco Caputo <rca...@pobox.com> wrote:

Hi, Declan.

Recipes should be small enough that it's convenient to copy/paste them into an editor.  Your diskd seems a bit long for that.

I'd break it up into a blog post or series of them.  Another alternative is to release App::Diskd to CPAN.  Each module can document itself in recipe form, and the main diskd command line program can document the app usage, and where to find the recipes.

If you can break it into a series of recipes, maybe it can be a larger How to Write an App tutorial series?

OK, I was hoping for a more "fire and forget" type of outcome, but I can see your points. Since the POE parts are basically cut and paste from existing recipes, the deconstructionist approach won't work. I think I'll take the other approach and write it up as a blog post along the lines you suggest.

Cheers,
dec