POCO IRC Proxy plugin

1 view

Celso Barriga

Feb 22, 2014, 3:49:24 PM2/22/14
to p...@perl.org
Can somebody please tell me what this plugin actually do? I've read the docs, and if I understand it correctly, by default, it opens up a random port on localhost (if no bindaddress and binport are specified) where the POCO IRC would then connect to. What's the advantage of doing this and what does this give me?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Celso

Rocco Caputo

Feb 22, 2014, 7:42:36 PM2/22/14
to p...@perl.org
The docs say it's a simple bouncer that lets you hide many bots and/or clients behind a single IRC connection. Benefits?

If you're developing bots that crash a lot, you can hide them behind a stable proxy that doesn't annoy everyone with frequent reconnections.

If you develop a lot of bots, you can put them all behind one IRC connection. This may keep you from being banned by servers that have low connection limits.

If a channel lets you only have one bot, you can cheat. :)

Other things, only limited by the intersection of the implemented features and your imagination!

--
Rocco Caputo <rca...@pobox.com>

김유민

Feb 22, 2014, 7:46:47 PM2/22/14
to Rocco Caputo, p...@perl.org

Celso Barriga

Feb 23, 2014, 6:13:09 PM2/23/14
to p...@perl.org
OK thanks for the explanation. I think I got, but I have to play around with it, I guess. it sounds very interesting though!!!