Re: Questions regarding s/// and subst?

1 view

Stevan Little

Mar 23, 2005, 2:58:35 PM3/23/05
to perl6-l...@perl.org
Larry,

Thanks for the quick reply.

On Mar 23, 2005, at 1:42 PM, Larry Wall wrote:
> This is very much bound up in the meaning of .foo in various contexts,
> which we haven't actually nailed down yet. For the moment I would
> recommend writing all code with explicit $self.foo or $_.foo until
> we figure that out. I rather suspect that .foo is going to end up
> always meaning the current invocant rather than current topic.

Personally I think that it should always mean the current invocant. I
know that as I have been porting over some OO modules to perl6/pugs
(see http://svn.perl.org/perl6/pugs/trunk/modules/ for details), that
it just "feels" right for it to be the invocant and not the current
topic. It feels somewhat like the implicit 'this' in Java, which at
first I did not like, but after I got tired of typing 'this.' all the
time I came to appreciate.

Anyway, just my 2 cents on the matter.

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Stevan