S29: punt

Rod Adams

May 12, 2005, 3:13:05 PM5/12/05
to Perl6 Language List
It looks like I'm going to have to punt on finishing S29.

I'm finding myself in a perpetual state of either no time to work on it,
or when there is time, having insufficient brain power left to properly
assimilate everything that needs to be considered to do any of the
functions justice. Looking ahead, I do not see this state changing for
the better in the foreseeable future.

It's my hope that someone none(@Larry) can and will pick this effort up.
I will give whatever assistance I can to anyone choosing to do so. Drop
me a line.

-- Rod Adams

Sam Vilain

May 12, 2005, 8:07:25 PM5/12/05
to Rod Adams, Perl6 Language List
Rod Adams wrote:
> It looks like I'm going to have to punt on finishing S29.

On behalf of pugs committers, we will gladly adopt this task, which is in
the pugs repository already at docs/S29draft.pod, as well as having a set
of foundation classes that correspond to all these object methods in
docs/src/ (of course, most of the actual code is in src/Pugs/Prim.hs etc)

> I'm finding myself in a perpetual state of either no time to work on it,
> or when there is time, having insufficient brain power left to properly
> assimilate everything that needs to be considered to do any of the
> functions justice. Looking ahead, I do not see this state changing for
> the better in the foreseeable future.

Drop the feeling of guilt for not having written enough and it will already
be better. Thanks for what you have done, it is an outstanding achievement!

> It's my hope that someone none(@Larry) can and will pick this effort up.
> I will give whatever assistance I can to anyone choosing to do so. Drop
> me a line.

If you could make sure your last revision corresponds to what is in the
pugs repository, that will be more than enough...

Sam.

Aaron Sherman

May 12, 2005, 8:49:57 PM5/12/05
to Perl6 Language List
On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 12:07 +1200, Sam Vilain wrote:
> Rod Adams wrote:
> > It looks like I'm going to have to punt on finishing S29.
>
> On behalf of pugs committers, we will gladly adopt this task, which is in
> the pugs repository already at docs/S29draft.pod, as well as having a set
> of foundation classes that correspond to all these object methods in
> docs/src/ (of course, most of the actual code is in src/Pugs/Prim.hs etc)

I'll be your resident firehose drinker. Feel free to send me your
comments, concerns and death threats where they are relevant to S29
and / or the above mentioned foundation classes. I will summarize and
compile and forward on to the relevant parties as needed.

Max Maischein

May 12, 2005, 5:10:27 PM5/12/05
to r...@rodadams.net, perl6-l...@perl.org
Hello Rod,

I was pointed to your p6l post (<4283AAC1.6060106[at]rodadams.net>) by
Autrijus. I have already worked a bit on implementing/porting the
functionality of builtins that I want in Perl6 (by stealing from Perl5),
I can try to take over S29.

> I'm finding myself in a perpetual state of either no time to work
> on it, or when there is time, having insufficient brain power left to
> properly assimilate everything that needs to be considered to do
> any of the functions justice. Looking ahead, I do not see this
> state changing for
> the better in the foreseeable future.

While I find myself in the same situation from time to time, I hope that
I'll survive by having #perl6 support me and the wiki-style of
development-via-widespread-commit...

If there is somebody else who wants to uphold the banner, consider their
offer instead of mine ;)

-max