Moving the p5 standard library to p6

1 view

Andrew Savige

Mar 25, 2005, 8:05:06 PM3/25/05
to perl6-l...@perl.org
I noticed the Pugs folks have started porting File::Spec and
other modules to Pugs, which leads me to ask this question.
I've also taken a look at Rod Adams S29.

There a quite a few p5 standard libraries with crusty old user
interfaces that many folks dislike. Two that people often seem
to complain about are File::Find and File::Spec.

Ken Williams has proposed a cleaner alternative interface than
File::Spec, namely:

http://search.cpan.org/dist/Path-Class/

Two wrappers for File::Find I am aware of are:

http://search.cpan.org/dist/File-Find-Rule/
http://search.cpan.org/dist/File-Finder/

Please note that I am not an expert on any of this, I was just
wondering whether we are going to clean up the old p5 library
interfaces as part of the move to p6. Or must we support the
old p5 library interfaces for backwards compatibility?

/-\

http://au.movies.yahoo.com

Larry Wall

Mar 25, 2005, 8:45:25 PM3/25/05
to perl6-l...@perl.org
On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 12:05:06PM +1100, Andrew Savige wrote:
: I noticed the Pugs folks have started porting File::Spec and

I'd say we can jettison any old interface that the p5-to-p6 translator
is able to refactor to the new interface. Otherwise we need to
keep at least an emulation, though as I've mentioned elsewhere, such
emulations don't need to have huffmanly short names. Renaming
things is fairly trivial compared to refactoring, at least when
you're renaming things in a way that is unlikely to cause name
collisons.

Maybe we should just say that any Perl 5 module that comes across
automatically gets a default name like Perl5ish::Whatever until
we decide it's canonical Perl 6, or we decide to demote it to
Perl5ishButPleaseNeverEverUseForNewStuff::Whatever or some such.

Larry

Adam Preble

Mar 30, 2005, 3:57:13 AM3/30/05
I want to extend this thread to Clone, because I'm curious how that'll
fit into Perl 6. Will it be possible to do deep copies without it?