Lukasiewiczian logic (was Indeterminate math)

mosul...@crtinc.com

Oct 14, 2002, 8:58:16 PM10/14/02
to perl6-l...@perl.org
From: Andrew Rodland arod...@noln.com
> After much fighting with google to find the right spelling,

Sorry bout that. Your searching was probably as difficult as my attempts
to pronounce it.

> it looks like "Lukasiewiczian NULL" is just the nifty NULL
> that SQL has, and the nifty ways that it affects logical
> and aggregate operations. Actually, something I wouldn't mind
> seeing in other languages -- I can't say if perl is one of those,
> but if it can be provided by expansion, that would be neato.
>
> Miko, did I get the right thing out of that?

Yup. It would be cool to be able to overload &&, ||, and ! to implement
Lukasiewiczian logic within a given scope. I'm no expert, but I wrote a
short essay explaining Lukasiewiczian logic. See
http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/read.cgi?id=20020904&tid=389032

Trivia: Jan Lukasiewicz is the Polish in "Reverse Polish Notation". Trivia
2: my mom, Carole O'Sullivan nee Lucas, says Lukasiewicz is probably my
second cousin fifteen times removed, or something like that. It's probably
my best credentials in the math world.

-Miko

http://mail2web.com/ .

David Whipp

Oct 14, 2002, 9:27:48 PM10/14/02
to mosul...@crtinc.com, perl6-l...@perl.org
> it looks like "Lukasiewiczian NULL" is just the nifty NULL
> that SQL has, and the nifty ways that it affects logical
> and aggregate operations. Actually, something I wouldn't mind
> seeing in other languages -- I can't say if perl is one of those,
> but if it can be provided by expansion, that would be neato.

Looks like the X value of the 4 (or 9) state logics that ASIC
designers use. I use Perl to do ASIC testbenches and stuff: so
I'll probably be constructing something similar (and hopefully
I'll have some nice bitwise and/or operators available: I use
bitwise & and | frequently; though I can accept that the
majority of Perl users don't). Maybe I'll implement Verilog as
a Parrot language.

Dave.

Paul Johnson

Oct 15, 2002, 5:56:05 AM10/15/02
to David Whipp, mosul...@crtinc.com, perl6-l...@perl.org
On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 06:27:48PM -0700, David Whipp wrote:
> > it looks like "Lukasiewiczian NULL" is just the nifty NULL
> > that SQL has, and the nifty ways that it affects logical
> > and aggregate operations. Actually, something I wouldn't mind
> > seeing in other languages -- I can't say if perl is one of those,
> > but if it can be provided by expansion, that would be neato.
>
> Looks like the X value of the 4 (or 9) state logics that ASIC
> designers use.

I suspect that it would be possible to implement this with properties
and overloading.

Paul Johnson - pa...@pjcj.net
http://www.pjcj.net