:=: (OT)

1 view

Juerd

Apr 4, 2005, 2:31:36 PM4/4/05
to perl6-l...@perl.org
For some reason, I keep typing :=: instead of =:=. Do other people
experience similar typo-habits with new operators?

One of my other Perl 6 typo-habits is <<^H^Hargh!^H^H^H^H^H«, but that's
because I like how « and » look, but can't yet easily type them.

Juerd

Sam Vilain

Apr 4, 2005, 3:07:27 PM4/4/05
to Juerd, perl6-l...@perl.org
Juerd wrote:
> For some reason, I keep typing :=: instead of =:=. Do other people
> experience similar typo-habits with new operators?
>
> One of my other Perl 6 typo-habits is <<^H^Hargh!^H^H^H^H^H«, but that's
> because I like how « and » look, but can't yet easily type them.
>

> Juerd

an excerpt from my xkb config...

key <AB01> {
symbols[Group1]= [ z, Z ],
symbols[Group2]= [ guillemotleft, less ]
};
key <AB02> {
symbols[Group1]= [ x, X ],
symbols[Group2]= [ guillemotright, greater ]
};

xkb

(keyboards that fail, leading to making it easier for me to enter «» and
þ than )--

Sam.

Aaron Sherman

Apr 4, 2005, 3:55:23 PM4/4/05
to Sam Vilain, Perl6 Language List
On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 15:07, Sam Vilain wrote:

> an excerpt from my xkb config...

I think we've been over this ground before, but if you use EMACS, you'll
find this handy:

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/emacs-iso.html

Of course, some of the sequences used might end up being common in Perl
6, so that could be interesting ;-)

In vim, you want:

http://www.vim.org/htmldoc/digraph.html

but if you use vim or emacs inside a terminal, you'll want to make sure
it's in iso-latin-1 mode (e.g. in gnome-terminal, you have to use the
menu: "Terminal->Set Character Encoding")

I can't tell you how long I thought my vim was broken because it would
just output "blanks" when I used the digraphs. ;-»

We need an S-1 that describes the environmental / egronomic / aesthetic
issues surrounding the use of the latin-1 and/or Unicode characters.

--
Aaron Sherman <a...@ajs.com>
Senior Systems Engineer and Toolsmith

Larry Wall

Apr 4, 2005, 4:41:52 PM4/4/05
to Perl6 Language List
On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 03:55:23PM -0400, Aaron Sherman wrote:
: but if you use vim or emacs inside a terminal, you'll want to make sure

: it's in iso-latin-1 mode (e.g. in gnome-terminal, you have to use the
: menu: "Terminal->Set Character Encoding")

If you going to that trouble, at least try your terminal's utf-8
mode to see if it works. If it does, you can also see things like
☺ or 漢字, not to mention γ and φ. Vim supports utf-8; dunno
about emacs.

Larry

Aaron Sherman

Apr 4, 2005, 5:01:58 PM4/4/05
to Larry Wall, Perl6 Language List

The default mode for my vim was Latin-1. I was being lazy because I knew
how to tell gnome-terminal to do Latin-1, but I have no clue how to tell
vim to display and save UTF-8. I'm sure it's easy enough though.

On second thought... do I really want to have to figure out:

$pie ☺= $face;

or is that:

$pie☺☺;

Mark Reed

Apr 4, 2005, 5:12:40 PM4/4/05
to Aaron Sherman, Larry Wall, Perl6 Language List

:set encoding=utf8
:set fileencoding=utf8

The first controls the display, the second file saves. Vim has to have been
compiled with multibyte support, though.

Johan Vromans

Apr 6, 2005, 8:49:16 AM4/6/05
to Aaron Sherman, Sam Vilain, Perl6 Language List
Aaron Sherman <a...@ajs.com> writes:

> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/emacs-iso.html

Coincidentally, last week the emacs developers decided to declare
iso-accents mode (dated 1998) obsolete. Emacs 21 (out for several
years now) has native support for language encodings.

-- Johan