Perl6 burns 18% fewer calories

Michael Hendricks

Jul 8, 2005, 4:14:47 PM7/8/05
to perl6-l...@perl.org
In other words, Huffman coding works and Perl6 hackers had better start
watching their waistlines. Or maybe we should spin it that Perl6 helps
reduce global warming ;)

Anyway, I collected a small sample (~300 lines each) of Perl5 code along
with "equivalent" Perl6 code. Some came from the Exegeses and others from
Pugs' SVN. I had Text::TypingEffort give me some pseudo-scientific results
and typing the Perl5 code takes about 18% more physical effort than typing
the Perl6 code.

--

Michael Hendricks

Adam Kennedy

Jul 9, 2005, 8:29:52 AM7/9/05
to perl6-l...@perl.org

My god! What is this wonderful module of which you speak?

Finally a chance to help in the argument that ideas that try to force
less characters in a huffman-inspired nightmare might make life worse
from a "actually typing it in real life" sense.

I wonder if handles different keyboard, I'd like to the differences in
using Perl between the different country keyboards. Especially those
poor nordics with the / and $ in funny places :)

Adam K

Michael Hendricks

Jul 11, 2005, 11:18:44 AM7/11/05
to perl6-l...@perl.org
Adam Kennedy wrote:

> My god! What is this wonderful module of which you speak?

Text::TypingEffort is available on CPAN.

> Finally a chance to help in the argument that ideas that try to force
> less characters in a huffman-inspired nightmare might make life worse
> from a "actually typing it in real life" sense.

Similar questions were part of my motivation for writing the module.

> I wonder if handles different keyboard, I'd like to the differences in
> using Perl between the different country keyboards. Especially those
> poor nordics with the / and $ in funny places :)

The module handles different keyboard layouts fairly easily. There's a
function register_layout() that lets you specify your own layouts. The
module currently has QWERTY, Dvorak and ASET keyboard layouts built in. If
you create another layout, let me know so that I can add it to the module.

--

Michael Hendricks