Re: DBI v2 - The Plan and How You Can Help

Michael Cummings

Jul 6, 2005, 8:30:39 AM7/6/05
to perl6-l...@perl.org
On Wednesday 06 July 2005 06:39 am, Maxim Sloyko wrote:
> But this is not the point. The point was that usage of some file with
> passwords by *DEFAULT* is not the way to go, IMHO. It raises more
> problems than it solves.

To tack onto that, IMO it would make more sense if the password situation were
handled by the DBD:: end, say via inclusion of support for the various dot
files that every DB seems to love (.mysql at least comes to mind, pretty sure
there is a postgres equiv, etc.). Otherwise your opening DBI up to a can of
worms if its being relied on to store the password in any encrypted fashion
when its real purpose is to provide the foundation layer.

That could be a lack of coffee in my diet today talking though.