In need of somebody who wrote a jit_emit.h implementation

1 view

ro...@adampreble.com

Jul 21, 2005, 1:01:20 AM7/21/05
to perl6-i...@perl.org
I've been slowing banging away at an x86_64 code generator. I'm just trying to
get the basics down for now, generating NOP's; but even that's nontrivial.
While compiling my code additions into Parrot, I've been running into this and
that. This function is redefined a million times, while that one isn't defined
at all. While redefined functions are likely from some stupidity I missed, it
looks like I am outright missing important functions just to get the basic code
generation working.

I'm hoping somebody that wrote a jit_emit.h implementation for one of the
architectures could help me deduce some of my errors so that I can get rolling.
My intended focus was in generating all the opcodes and filling in as many of
the JIT routines as possible. So far, it's been a chore just getting a
framework in place. I don't want to burden the mailing list with the little
particulars.

I'll respond better to direct emails at adam.preble (at) gmail.com -- I've been
getting swamped with spam on this account recently. If somebody is more
willing to hang around IRC instead, then I will catch them there instead.

Leopold Toetsch

Jul 21, 2005, 1:29:02 AM7/21/05
to ro...@adampreble.com, perl6-i...@perl.org

On Jul 21, 2005, at 7:01, ro...@adampreble.com wrote:

> I've been slowing banging away at an x86_64 code generator. I'm just
> trying to
> get the basics down for now, generating NOP's; but even that's
> nontrivial.
> While compiling my code additions into Parrot, I've been running into
> this and
> that. This function is redefined a million times, while that one
> isn't defined
> at all. While redefined functions are likely from some stupidity I
> missed, it
> looks like I am outright missing important functions just to get the
> basic code
> generation working.

W/o a more precise description of the troubles you have, two hints:
- always make sure to edit jit/x86_64/jit_emit.h and not the generated
copy in include (this can easily happen by following a tag link with
your editor for example)
- have a look at the usage of JIT_EMIT in existing jit_emit.h files.
This #define controls, what part of the file is visible to the user of
this file.

> I'll respond better to direct emails at adam.preble (at) gmail.com --
> I've been
> getting swamped with spam on this account recently. If somebody is
> more
> willing to hang around IRC instead, then I will catch them there
> instead.

I'm just hitting the reply button ;-) - you can find me on #parrot.

leo