Re: Win32 with ICU files build problem

Jens Rieks

Apr 12, 2005, 3:28:52 PM4/12/05
to perl6-i...@perl.org, Solinski, Mark
On Tuesday 12 April 2005 21:06, Solinski, Mark wrote:
> > Following the instructions in README.Win32 (which has been successful
> > for me in the past), no longer works successfully. First, I cannot
> > run Configure.pl successfully; it complains about --icudatadir not
> > being defined (again not one of the --icu* options mentioned in
> > README.Win32 AND not necessary before). Defining --icudatadir, I now
> > get the following error during make:
> >
> > Src\string_primitives.c(24) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include
> > file: 'unicode/ucnv.h': No such file or directory
With which command line arguments is the compiler called?

> > I had defined --icuheaders in my call to Configure in whose directory
> > 'unicode/ucnv.h' does exist. Does this mean that Configure is
> > ignoring --icuheader or --icuheader is ignored in the build of the
> > file above?
Configure.pl does not complain about missing headers, does it?

Can you please retry with the latest version of parrot (>= r7817),
run Configure.pl with --verbose-step=ICU and provide its output?

> > Has anyone successfully built Parrot on Win32 (MSVC 13.10.3077)
> > recently?
No, but I tried it on an old Win98 box with VC6 or so, it worked there.
(The problem though was that each time parrot is invoked, "No such file or
directory" appears in the output, but the result looks okay nevertheless -
have to dig into it another time...)

> > Mark Solinski
jens

Mark Solinski

Apr 12, 2005, 3:06:43 PM4/12/05
to perl6-i...@perl.org
I'm sorry if this is a repeat... I posted this accidentally to
perl6-language...

> Following the instructions in README.Win32 (which has been successful
> for me in the past), no longer works successfully. First, I cannot
> run Configure.pl successfully; it complains about --icudatadir not
> being defined (again not one of the --icu* options mentioned in
> README.Win32 AND not necessary before). Defining --icudatadir, I now
> get the following error during make:
>
> Src\string_primitives.c(24) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include
> file: 'unicode/ucnv.h': No such file or directory
>

> I had defined --icuheaders in my call to Configure in whose directory
> 'unicode/ucnv.h' does exist. Does this mean that Configure is
> ignoring --icuheader or --icuheader is ignored in the build of the
> file above?
>

> Has anyone successfully built Parrot on Win32 (MSVC 13.10.3077)
> recently?
>

> Mark Solinski

Wi

Apr 12, 2005, 3:30:52 PM4/12/05
to Solinski, Mark, perl6-i...@perl.org
I succeeded using the mingw32 setup. I counldn't get the Visual
Studio.Net or free VC++ compilers to work, and ran out of energy.

Jerry Gay

Apr 12, 2005, 3:56:48 PM4/12/05
On Apr 12, 2005 12:06 PM, Solinski, Mark <mark.s...@sap.com> wrote:

> > Has anyone successfully built Parrot on Win32 (MSVC 13.10.3077)
> > recently?

parrot builds fine on win32--vc-7.1-perl-5.8.6 for me, without icu. i have
been building this way for some time now.
configure.pl --without-icu
nmake
nmake test
i have not tried with icu for the past several days.

> > Mark Solinski
>
> ~jerry

Ron Blaschke

Apr 14, 2005, 3:12:05 PM4/14/05
to jerry gay, Solinski, Mark, perl6-i...@perl.org

I've updated the documentation with patch [perl #34986]. With these
updated instructions, Parrot w/ ICU builds fine on Win32, VC++ 7.1,
ICU 3.2. At least I hope so. ;-)

Ron