embedding/extending interface

Jeff Horwitz

May 10, 2005, 1:13:48 PM5/10/05
to perl6-i...@perl.org
as part of both the pugs and mod_parrot effort, i've started working on
bringing the embedding and extending interfaces into the modern parrot
era. i'd like to start by adding public APIs (Parrot_*) where necessary
and adding missing prototypes to the headers. this will clean things up
without changing any of the working parts.

is there anyone else besides myself and autrijus who is actively working
on an embedded parrot application?

-jeff

Nicholas Clark

May 11, 2005, 6:18:30 AM5/11/05
to Jeff Horwitz, perl6-i...@perl.org

Following a question I raised about this, chromatic has some automated tools
ready to help here

http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl6.internals/29422

However, I don't feel confident to say if this is the correct way to go.
(seems like a design question)

Nicholas Clark

Chromatic

Jul 13, 2005, 1:53:08 PM7/13/05
to Nicholas Clark, perl6-i...@perl.org
On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 15:41 +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:

> Did anything come of this? Or is chromatic still waiting in the wings for
> confirmation that this is the right way to go?

I'm still waiting for confirmation. I can send my existing (needs
polish) patch if that will help speed the discussion.

-- c

Jeff Horwitz

Jul 13, 2005, 10:57:05 AM7/13/05
to Nicholas Clark, perl6-i...@perl.org, jesse
On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Nicholas Clark wrote:

> Did anything come of this? Or is chromatic still waiting in the wings for
> confirmation that this is the right way to go?

i don't know about chromatic's part, but as soon as i began work on this,
real life got in the way and autrijus said he'd spearhead the effort.
considering his schedule at the time, i'm not sure if he had the tuits to
deal with it either.

maybe now that i have some more time i can start working on this again.
or maybe it's best to wait for leo to finish his current batch of changes.

> Nicholas Clark

-jeff

Nicholas Clark

Jul 13, 2005, 10:41:39 AM7/13/05
to perl6-i...@perl.org, jesse
On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 11:18:30AM +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:

Did anything come of this? Or is chromatic still waiting in the wings for

confirmation that this is the right way to go?

Nicholas Clark

Leopold Toetsch

Jul 14, 2005, 12:24:42 PM7/14/05
to chromatic, Nicholas Clark, perl6-i...@perl.org

As long as the program doesn't generate 'void retval; ... return
retval;', it's ok for me ;-)

> -- c

leo