Re: Welcome to the land of Subversion

Ron Blaschke

Apr 10, 2005, 1:59:32 PM4/10/05
to Robert Spier, perl6-i...@perl.org
Robert Spier wrote:
> The conversion is done.
> http://www.parrotcode.org/source.html
> Have fun!

Sweet! Is there any particular reason why everyone should use https?
Shouldn't http do for non-committers? Or am I nitpicking here?

Ron

Robert Spier

Apr 10, 2005, 1:54:21 PM4/10/05
to perl6-i...@perl.org

The conversion is done.

http://www.parrotcode.org/source.html

Have fun!

If there are issues, let me know, and I'll fix em when I get back.

Everyone who could commit before, should be able to commit now.

If you find things slow, it's because everyone is trying to check out
at once.

-R (getting away from computer for few hours)

Robert Spier

Apr 10, 2005, 10:00:11 PM4/10/05
to perl6-i...@perl.org
> > The conversion is done.
> > http://www.parrotcode.org/source.html
> > Have fun!
> Sweet! Is there any particular reason why everyone should use https?
> Shouldn't http do for non-committers? Or am I nitpicking here?

Not really. http is fine for non-committers. But it was easier to
just document one of em.

Other things worth sharing:
- commit messages aren't moving right now. They are being sent,
they're just sitting in the moderation queue. They'll start
moving again soon.

- http://svn.perl.org/rss/log/parrot.rss

Nicholas Clark

Apr 11, 2005, 6:46:43 AM4/11/05
On Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 10:54:21AM -0700, Robert Spier wrote:

> The conversion is done.
>
> http://www.parrotcode.org/source.html

zcat svk-mirror-dump | svnadmin load --ignore-uuid ~/.svk/parrot

should be

zcat svk-bootstrap-dump.gz | svnadmin load --ignore-uuid ~/.svk/parrot

Also, if you bzip2 that file it's a lot smaller:

-rw-r--r-- 1 nick nick 96313019 10 Apr 18:34 svk-bootstrap-dump.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 nick nick 58202323 10 Apr 18:34 svk-bootstrap-dump.bz2

I think it's fair to assume that anyone clueful enough to want to mirror
the entire revision history into svk will have bzip2 or know where to get
it.

It took a bit of time and digging for me to work out that the next command to
run after the svnadmin is

svk sync /parrot/mirror

Could that be added as 4th line?

Nicholas Clark

Leopold Toetsch

Apr 11, 2005, 10:16:36 AM4/11/05
Robert Spier <rsp...@pobox.com> wrote:

> The conversion is done.

Great work. Thanks a lot.

leo

Chip Salzenberg

Apr 11, 2005, 12:06:24 PM4/11/05
to Perl 6 Internals
Anybody using Debian and emacs, a clue: I had to edit a couple of
files to get Subversion support enabled automatically. All of the
actual elisp code in:

/etc/emacs/site-start.d/50psvn.el
/etc/emacs/site-start.d/50vc-svn.el

was commented out. (?!) Once I uncommented it, emacs recognized that
Parrot code was Subversion-controlled, and the VC submode commands
seemed to work fine.
--
Chip Salzenberg - a.k.a. - <ch...@pobox.com>
Open Source is not an excuse to write fun code

Robert Spier

Apr 13, 2005, 12:26:36 AM4/13/05
to perl6-i...@perl.org
> Could that be added as 4th line?

Good ideas, all of them. I've updated the page to add that, and to
switch to bz2.

-R

Robert Spier

Apr 13, 2005, 5:25:22 AM4/13/05
to perl6-i...@perl.org
At Wed, 13 Apr 2005 02:07:05 -0400,
Roger Hale wrote:
> Following Nicholas Clark:
> bzcat svk-mirror-dump.bz2 | svnadmin load --ignore-uuid ~/.svk/parrot
> presumably should be
> bzcat svk-bootstrap-dump.bz2 | svnadmin load --ignore-uuid ~/.svk/parrot
> (Although parrotcode.org is denying all knowledge of the file presently...)

Thanks Roger... I really shouldn't update the website while watching
TV. Distraction and all.

Fixed and fixed.

-R

Roger Hale