mod_parrot 0.2

Jeff Horwitz

Mar 28, 2005, 12:30:55 PM3/28/05
to perl6-i...@perl.org
mod_parrot 0.2 is now available from http://www.smashing.org/mod_parrot or
from SVN at http://svn.perl.org/parrot-modules/mod_parrot.

major changes include support for parrot 0.1.2 (phoenix), the beginnings
of a thread-safe interpreter pool, support for more apache hooks,
updated documentation, and more tests.

there is also a new HLL layer to support language specific features for
each handler. this will allow for plug-in style support for different
languages. right now, only PIR handlers are supported, but i plan on
implementing a pugs layer (http://www.pugscode.org) once it supports OO
and its parrot backend catches up. i guess it's time to learn haskell! ;-)

enjoy,
-jeff

Leopold Toetsch

Mar 29, 2005, 10:27:33 AM3/29/05
to Jeff Horwitz, perl6-i...@perl.org
Jeff Horwitz <je...@smashing.org> wrote:
> mod_parrot 0.2 is now available from http://www.smashing.org/mod_parrot or
> from SVN at http://svn.perl.org/parrot-modules/mod_parrot.

Steadily evolving, great.

> major changes include support for parrot 0.1.2 (phoenix), the beginnings
> of a thread-safe interpreter pool,

Didn't find the latter.

BTW. I saw your remark WRT namespaces. Nested namespaces should work
now: see t/pmc/namespace.t

One thing still missing is to retrieve the current namespace inside a
subroutine, which will be in RSN, e.g.:

$P0 = interpinfo .INTERPINFO_CURRENT_NAMESPACE

leo

Jeff Horwitz

Mar 29, 2005, 10:46:50 AM3/29/05
to Leopold Toetsch, perl6-i...@perl.org
On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Leopold Toetsch wrote:

> Jeff Horwitz <je...@smashing.org> wrote:
> > mod_parrot 0.2 is now available from http://www.smashing.org/mod_parrot or
> > from SVN at http://svn.perl.org/parrot-modules/mod_parrot.
>
> Steadily evolving, great.
>
> > major changes include support for parrot 0.1.2 (phoenix), the beginnings
> > of a thread-safe interpreter pool,
>
> Didn't find the latter.

it's buried in context.c, and it doesn't really work yet. i just needed
to get rid of globals and abstract the selection of the interpreter before
things got too complicated. we'll flesh it out more when we start using
threaded MPMs. right now we're making sure everything works in prefork.

> BTW. I saw your remark WRT namespaces. Nested namespaces should work
> now: see t/pmc/namespace.t

excellent! didn't catch that one before.

> One thing still missing is to retrieve the current namespace inside a
> subroutine, which will be in RSN, e.g.:
>
> $P0 = interpinfo .INTERPINFO_CURRENT_NAMESPACE

that would certainly be helpful. thanks for the hints!

-jeff

Leopold Toetsch

Mar 29, 2005, 11:12:39 AM3/29/05
to perl6-i...@perl.org, Jeff Horwitz
Leopold Toetsch wrote:

> One thing still missing is to retrieve the current namespace inside a
> subroutine, which will be in RSN, e.g.:
>
> $P0 = interpinfo .INTERPINFO_CURRENT_NAMESPACE

Actually it is:

$P0 = interpinfo .INTERPINFO_CURRENT_SUB
ns = $P0."get_name_space"()

See the new tests in namespace.t

leo