Parrot makefile on Win32

Nigel Sandever

May 31, 2005, 7:48:54 AM5/31/05
to perl6-i...@perl.org
The parrot makefile has several places where nmake baulks at the length of the
expanded command lines.

I've found that I can work around this is some places using inline files, but
I'm having trouble working out where/how to make the adjustments.

I also have my doubts whether this would be compatible with other make programs.

Is anyone else successfully building parrot on win32 native? If so, how are they
avoiding this problem?

Thanks njs

Jerry Gay

May 31, 2005, 10:07:28 AM5/31/05
to Nigel Sandever, perl6-i...@perl.org
On 5/31/05, Nigel Sandever <nigels...@btconnect.com> wrote:
> The parrot makefile has several places where nmake baulks at the length of the
> expanded command lines.

though you weren't explicit, i suspect you're using the ms c++ toolkit
to build parrot on win32. some months ago, i ran into the same
problem. since i have switched to msvc, i have not ran into any
command-line length problems, nor have i read any reports of these
problems with cygwin or mingw.

> I've found that I can work around this is some places using inline files, but
> I'm having trouble working out where/how to make the adjustments.

if i recall correctly, linking parrot.exe was a trouble spot. the main
makefile is generated from config/gen/makefiles/root.in, and $(PARROT)
is built around line 649 (revision 8223).

you might consider adding a dependency to that line, and create the
inline file in the new dependency. any inline files should be added to
the 'clean' target for removal.

> I also have my doubts whether this would be compatible with other make programs.
>
> Is anyone else successfully building parrot on win32 native? If so, how are they
> avoiding this problem?

as i said, i'm not having any problems building with msvc-7.1. i'd be
happy to test any patches you submit with that compiler.

> Thanks njs

~jerry

Leopold Toetsch

May 31, 2005, 12:45:21 PM5/31/05
Nigel Sandever wrote:
> The parrot makefile has several places where nmake baulks at the length of the
> expanded command lines.

According to p6c[1] there exists nmake 7.10, which works.

leo

[1] pugs 'make clean' fatal error on ms windows

Nigel Sandever

May 31, 2005, 12:24:30 PM5/31/05
to perl6-i...@perl.org
On Tue, 31 May 2005 07:07:28 -0700, jerr...@gmail.com (Jerry Gay) wrote:
> On 5/31/05, Nigel Sandever <nigels...@btconnect.com> wrote:
> > The parrot makefile has several places where nmake baulks at the length o=
> f the
> > expanded command lines.
> >=20

> though you weren't explicit, i suspect you're using the ms c++ toolkit
> to build parrot on win32. some months ago, i ran into the same
> problem. since i have switched to msvc, i have not ran into any
> command-line length problems, nor have i read any reports of these
> problems with cygwin or mingw.

jerry,

That was the clue-bat I needed. A bug in the pugs makefile where it was looking
for 'nmake' rather than 'nmake.exe' caused it to download nmake v1.5.

The ordering in my path meant that it, was being found before nmake v7 (or v8).

Deleting it, allowed v7 to be found and Parrot now builds correctly.

It might be worth mentioning this nmake version dependancy in readme.win32 where
it also suggests getting nmake v1.5.

> ~jerry

Thanks for your help.

njs.