[ANNOUNCE] Parrot is feature-frozen until Wednesday

Steve Fink

Dec 14, 2002, 3:44:21 PM12/14/02
to perl6-i...@perl.org
The Parrot tree is now frozen in preparation for the 0.0.9 release.
That means no new features. Bugfixes and warnings eliminations are
still acceptable.

If anyone messes up and commits any feature-related changes between
now and Wednesday, I'll back the changes out and open a ticket, so I
(or someone else) can re-apply them afterwards.

I notice that the current tree doesn't pass the tests even on my
rather forgiving machine, so there's some work to do. :-) (MANIFEST is
broken again, and nci.t is failing. I'll fix the first now.)

Any suggestions for the name of the 0.0.9 release? Right now, I'm
split between "0.0.9" and "Nazgul".

Whoa! Looks like Simon Glover has fixed the MANIFEST already. Cool,
thanks!

Simon Glover

Dec 14, 2002, 3:50:24 PM12/14/02
to Steve Fink, perl6-i...@perl.org

On Sat, 14 Dec 2002, Steve Fink wrote:

> I notice that the current tree doesn't pass the tests even on my
> rather forgiving machine, so there's some work to do. :-) (MANIFEST is
> broken again, and nci.t is failing. I'll fix the first now.)

nci.t has started failing because we're only skipping the first 9 tests,
and not the 2 new ones that Leo has just added. This suggests an obvious
fix, but I'm not sure quite why we were skipping all of the tests in
nci.t in the first place; would anybody more knowledgeable care to
comment?

Simon

Dan Sugalski

Dec 14, 2002, 5:14:15 PM12/14/02
At 12:44 PM -0800 12/14/02, Steve Fink wrote:
>I notice that the current tree doesn't pass the tests even on my
>rather forgiving machine, so there's some work to do. :-) (MANIFEST is
>broken again, and nci.t is failing. I'll fix the first now.)

It crashes rather badly in a number of spots on OS X, unfortunately.
I've also noticed that we have no Win32 systems in the tinderbox. Are
we building OK on Win32 anywhere?
--
Dan

Dan Sugalski even samurai
d...@sidhe.org have teddy bears and even
teddy bears get drunk

Nicholas Clark

Dec 14, 2002, 6:21:21 PM12/14/02
to Dan Sugalski, perl6-i...@perl.org
On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 05:14:15PM -0500, Dan Sugalski wrote:

> It crashes rather badly in a number of spots on OS X, unfortunately.
> I've also noticed that we have no Win32 systems in the tinderbox. Are
> we building OK on Win32 anywhere?

s/Win32//g :-(

*percy* parrot <open> 5 red, 14 orange, 0 green: TD-Corvette (Test Failed),
+TD-Thunderbird (Burning),
*percy* TD-Camaro (Test Failed), drinky-drinky (Burning), TD-Viper (Test
+Failed),
*percy* TD-ParkAvenue (Test Failed), frivolous (Test Failed), TD-Miata (Test
+Failed),
*percy* TD-Camry (Test Failed), TD-Millenia (Burning), TD-Firebird (Test
+Failed),
*percy* TD-Continental (Burning), TD-Ferrari (Test Failed), TD-Celica (Test
+Failed),
*percy* glastig (Test Failed), TD-Seville (Test Failed), galactic-tcc
+(Burning), frivolous (Test Failed),
*percy* galactic-lcc (Test Failed)

Nicholas Clark

Leopold Toetsch

Dec 15, 2002, 5:35:33 AM12/15/02
to Simon Glover, Steve Fink, perl6-i...@perl.org
Simon Glover wrote:

> ... but I'm not sure quite why we were skipping all of the tests in

> nci.t in the first place; would anybody more knowledgeable care to
> comment?

The nci tests need a shared library, which we can't reliably build on
all platforms (s. #18832), so it isn't in the test_prep target.

But after 0.0.9 release we should really enable building libnci$(SO) to
have building shared libs tested as well as nci (which would need some
more signatures in call_list.txt).

Please (after applying #18832 to Makefile) try to:

$ make libnci.so / libnci.dll

and run

$ perl t/harness --running-make-test --gc-debug t/pmc/nci.t

on different platforms.

> Simon

leo