Remove .cvsignore?

Juergen Boemmels

May 12, 2005, 2:41:18 PM5/12/05
to perl6-i...@perl.org
Hello,

In the current SVN repository are 76 .cvsignore files. In SVN they aren't used
any more. SVN uses the property 'svn:ignore' on a directory instead.

During the cvs => svn transition the svn:ignore properties were set but in
the recent weeks they started to diverge. Currently (r8078) 22 .cvsignore
differ from svn:ignore (see attached cvsignore.diff)

I think we should remove .cvsignore files entirly.

Comments
boe

cvsignore.diff

Bernhard Schmalhofer

May 13, 2005, 12:55:12 PM5/13/05
to Juergen Boemmels, perl6-i...@perl.org
Juergen Boemmels schrieb:

As fas as I see, the only place where .cvsignore files are still used, is
tools/dev/manicheck.pl.
If we require 'svn', than we can replace the reading on .cvsignore with

svn propget svn:ignore

Is that the right was to go?

CU, Bernhard

Autrijus Tang

May 13, 2005, 2:19:21 PM5/13/05
to Bernhard Schmalhofer, Juergen Boemmels, perl6-i...@perl.org
On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 06:55:12PM +0200, Bernhard Schmalhofer wrote:
> As fas as I see, the only place where .cvsignore files are still used, is
> tools/dev/manicheck.pl.
> If we require 'svn', than we can replace the reading on .cvsignore with
>
> svn propget svn:ignore
>
> Is that the right was to go?

I think it's correct. It also need to check for existence of a ".svn"
directory in path before running that; if it's not there, then try

svk propget svn:ignore

Thanks,
/Autrijus/

Juergen Boemmels

May 16, 2005, 6:28:47 PM5/16/05
to perl6-i...@perl.org

More files using .cvsignore:

t/src/manifest.t
This test checks the integrity of CVS. This the CVS=>SVN transition this is
mostly skipped.
I have a nearly working replacement, but the hard-coded .cvsignores get in
the way

MANIFEST.SKIP
skips explicitly .cvsignore; can go

tools/dev/gen_manifest_skip.pl
explicit skip of .cvsignore; already scheduled for removal

tools/dev/extract_file_descriptions.pl
.cvsignore is not worth description

cu
boe