State of ParTcl [r7928]

William Coleda

Apr 25, 2005, 8:44:45 PM4/25/05
to perl6-i...@perl.org, tcl-...@lists.sourceforge.net

The garbage collection issues that were stopping ParTcl's test suite (FYI, *not* Tcl's test suite) from working seem to be gone now!

I've gotten passing reports on all tests (that aren't TODO'd) from OS X, FreeBSD, and Linux.

ParTcl is part of the parrot svn repository. See:

http://www.parrotcode.org/source.html

Once you've downloaded parrot, follow the instructions in ./README to build parrot itself, and then in ./languages/tcl/README to build and test Tcl.

Any feedback is, of course, greatly appreciated.

Now that these pesky GC bugs are (hopefully) dealt with, back to actually implementing features. As usual, volunteers welcome.

Regards.

Leopold Toetsch

Apr 26, 2005, 10:26:47 AM4/26/05
to William Coleda, perl6-i...@perl.org
William Coleda <wi...@coleda.com> wrote:

> The garbage collection issues that were stopping ParTcl's test suite
> (FYI, *not* Tcl's test suite) from working seem to be gone now!

I'm sorry to say that, but no GC bugs have gone, nor have any more been
fixed. As a DOD run isn't triggered at a reproducable execution point,
minimal changes to Parrot core can have the effect to hide or expose GC
bugs.

In fact, I've 10 failing tcl tests here[1], none with -G.

Failed Test Stat Wstat Total Fail Failed List of Failed
t/cmd_break.t 2 512 2 2 100.00% 1-2
t/cmd_continue.t 2 512 2 2 100.00% 1-2
t/cmd_global.t 2 512 3 2 66.67% 2-3
t/cmd_lappend.t 1 256 3 1 33.33% 3
t/cmd_proc.t 1 256 5 1 20.00% 3
t/cmd_return.t 1 256 1 1 100.00% 1
t/cmd_while.t 1 256 1 1 100.00% 1

Run individual test files with -t --gc-debug and you again see some
errors.

leo

[1] with rather big changes towards HEAD, I'll commit soon.