[perl #34625] [PATCH] make setup on MSWin32

1 view
Skip to first unread message

Francois PERRAD

unread,
Mar 31, 2005, 8:49:33 AM3/31/05
to bugs-bi...@rt.perl.org
# New Ticket Created by Francois PERRAD
# Please include the string: [perl #34625]
# in the subject line of all future correspondence about this issue.
# <URL: https://rt.perl.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=34625 >

I add a new target 'setup' in the main Makefile.

That's allow the creation of a setup-parrot-x.y.z.exe ('standard' binary
distribution) that contains all parrot install directories and the ICU
shared libraries.

A new script tools/dev/mk_setup.pl creates a script 'parrot.iss' for Inno
Setup .

Inno Setup is a free installer for Windows programs. See
http://www.jrsoftware.org/

François Perrad.

setup.patch

Leopold Toetsch

unread,
Apr 2, 2005, 5:09:23 AM4/2/05
to perl6-i...@perl.org
Francois PERRAD <parrotbug...@parrotcode.org> wrote:

> I add a new target 'setup' in the main Makefile.

> That's allow the creation of a setup-parrot-x.y.z.exe ('standard' binary
> distribution) that contains all parrot install directories and the ICU
> shared libraries.

Shouldn't that better read:

make win32-setup

Just "setup" seems to be to general, IMHO. Or does the term "setup"
apply to Win32 only and all the time - like "make rpm" to a different
category of OS?

leo

Ron Blaschke

unread,
Apr 2, 2005, 11:08:33 AM4/2/05
to Leopold Toetsch, perl6-i...@perl.org

Or even:

nmake win32-installer

?

The Windows equivalent of "rpm" would be "msi".
Cf http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/community/centers/management/msi_faq.mspx

Ron


Leopold Toetsch

unread,
Apr 2, 2005, 12:53:00 PM4/2/05
to Ron Blaschke, perl6-i...@perl.org
Ron Blaschke <mailin...@rblasch.org> wrote:

> Or even:

> nmake win32-installer

> ?

> The Windows equivalent of "rpm" would be "msi".

Maybe then:

nmake win32-inno-installer
nmake win32-msi-installer
...

(which make the win32 prefix rather superfluent)

> Ron

leo

Ron Blaschke

unread,
Apr 3, 2005, 4:29:14 AM4/3/05
to Leopold Toetsch, perl6-i...@perl.org

I think we should only pick one installer, and stick with it. There
is no benefit I can think of having multiple installers (anyone?). I
guess it would only confuse people.

Ron

François PERRAD

unread,
Apr 4, 2005, 3:22:34 AM4/4/05
to parrotbug...@parrotcode.org
At 18:01 02/04/2005 +0000, you wrote:
>Ron Blaschke <mailin...@rblasch.org> wrote:
>
> > Or even:
>
> > nmake win32-installer
>
> > ?
>
> > The Windows equivalent of "rpm" would be "msi".
>
>Maybe then:
>
> nmake win32-inno-installer
I agree with you, 'win32-inno-installer' is a better target name than 'setup'.
Do you want a new version of the patch with this name ?

Francois.


> nmake win32-msi-installer
> ...
>
>(which make the win32 prefix rather superfluent)
>

> > Ron
>
>leo

François PERRAD

unread,
Apr 6, 2005, 2:05:54 AM4/6/05
to parrotbug...@parrotcode.org
At 10:32 04/04/2005 +0200, you wrote:

>François PERRAD wrote:
>
>>I agree with you, 'win32-inno-installer' is a better target name than
>>'setup'.
>>Do you want a new version of the patch with this name ?
>
>Yes please.

I rename too the new script to mk_inno.pl

Francois

>Thanks,
>leo
>
>

inno.patch

Leopold Toetsch

unread,
Apr 6, 2005, 3:51:17 AM4/6/05
to François PERRAD, perl6-i...@perl.org
François PERRAD <francoi...@gadz.org> wrote:

> I rename too the new script to mk_inno.pl

Sorry for bothering you again. But with the recent ICU changes,
installing any ICU stuff is obsolete. ICU will be removed from the
source tree soon (when we switch to SVN).

> Francois

Thanks,
leo

Francois PERRAD

unread,
Apr 6, 2005, 8:24:43 AM4/6/05
to parrotbug...@parrotcode.org
At 09:50 06/04/2005 +0000, you wrote:

OK, without handling ICU, the patch is shorter.

Francois.

> > Francois
>
>Thanks,
>leo

inno-icu.patch

Leopold Toetsch

unread,
Apr 6, 2005, 10:02:59 AM4/6/05
to Francois PERRAD, perl6-i...@perl.org
Francois PERRAD <fpe...@besancon.parkeon.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I rename too the new script to mk_inno.pl
> OK, without handling ICU, the patch is shorter.

Thanks, applied.
leo

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages