[perl #34950] 'Symbol used before set' warning?

Nick Glencross

Apr 13, 2005, 5:21:45 AM4/13/05
to bugs-bi...@rt.perl.org
# New Ticket Created by Nick Glencross
# Please include the string: [perl #34950]

If it's straightforward, could we get imcc to emit a warning if a symbol
is used before being set? I've been chasing down a problem where this
turning out to be the problem. I know imcc code isn't intended to be
hand-crafted, and will ultimately be computer generated, but in the long
run it may well help catch many obscure problems...

[I had a nice example to demonstrate how easily this could happen, but
the latest version of parrot seems to be allocating registers differently]

Cheers,

Nick

Leopold Toetsch

Apr 13, 2005, 8:32:55 AM4/13/05
to perl6-i...@perl.org
Nick Glencross <parrotbug...@parrotcode.org> wrote:

> If it's straightforward, could we get imcc to emit a warning if a symbol
> is used before being set?

Please read imcc/cfg.c:690 ff

The problem is probably that the code doesn't consider incoming
arguments in function calls.

> Cheers,

> Nick

leo

Nick Glencross

Apr 13, 2005, 10:21:55 AM4/13/05
to parrotbug...@parrotcode.org, Leopold Toetsch

Darn, I skimmed many of the files in imcc/, but missed that one. I'll
probably close the call as it's certainly been looked at in the past.

The routine seems to have bitrotted a bit as 'function' no longer
exists, and hacking it can segfault.

As ever, thanks,

Nick