Re: cvs commit: parrot/config/gen/makefiles root.in

Leopold Toetsch

Apr 5, 2005, 5:12:55 AM4/5/05
to Chip Salzenberg, perl6-i...@perl.org
Chip Salzenberg <ch...@cvs.perl.org> wrote:
> cvsuser 05/04/04 13:03:46

> Modified: config/gen/makefiles root.in
> Log:
> When generating parser or lexer, remove target .c file first.

[ ... ]
> + $(RM_F) $(IMCC_DIR)/imcparser.c
> + $(RM_F) $(IMCC_DIR)/imclexer.c

This isn't quite right, it works only if you have bison/flex and you
did Configure.pl --maintainer

If you don't change the files and just make, you end up with empty files
and a broken build: see #34675.
We have imcparser.* and imclexer.c in CVS so that not all are forced to
have bison/flex.

Reverted.

But, we should eventually be able to build on an r/o source tree. This
was discussed a bit earlier, but it's not solved/done. I think we need

$ perl Configure.pl --build-dir=foo

and create/modify all that's needed in that directory.

leo

Chip Salzenberg

Apr 5, 2005, 7:36:35 AM4/5/05
to Leopold Toetsch, perl6-i...@perl.org
According to Leo Toetsch:

> Chip Salzenberg <ch...@cvs.perl.org> wrote:
> > + $(RM_F) $(IMCC_DIR)/imcparser.c
> > + $(RM_F) $(IMCC_DIR)/imclexer.c
>
> This isn't quite right, it works only if you have bison/flex and you
> did Configure.pl --maintainer
>
> If you don't change the files and just make, you end up with empty files
> and a broken build: see #34675.

Ah, I missed that in non-maintainer mode the rules stay but the
definitions of LEX and YACC change. "Sorry about that, Chief."

> I think we need
> $ perl Configure.pl --build-dir=foo
> and create/modify all that's needed in that directory.

That would be a good thing, but I hope to finess proper support for
read-only source files without having to use a separate build
directory.
--
Chip Salzenberg - a.k.a. - <ch...@pobox.com>
Open Source is not an excuse to write fun code