Perl 6 and Parrot VM presentation slides

ro...@adampreble.com

May 24, 2005, 1:13:33 AM5/24/05
to Perl 6 Internals
I am curious if there are any recent slides and notes for recent talks about
Perl 6, language, how it will work, and the same for Parrot. I've caught a few
old slides from almost a year ago for a few things, but not much. I am
preparing a little presentation over here, and I'm trying to determine if I'm
missing anything important worth presenting. Slides and notes would also be a
concise way to catch up on details I think I'm missing -- particularly the VM
details.

BÁRTHÁZI András

May 24, 2005, 1:18:03 AM5/24/05
to ro...@adampreble.com, Perl 6 Internals
Hi,

It's in Hungarian, has some minor bugs, but maybe you can use it:
http://barthazi.hu/perl6ujdonsagok.sxi

It's from our last year's Hungarian Perl Workshop, so there are some
changes and new things in Perl 6, too.

Bye,
András

Chris

May 24, 2005, 4:11:22 AM5/24/05
to Perl 6 Internals
I have power point slides I did use for a course on parrot machine and
assembly language for my students. With many examples.
They are in french. I can send you the file if you want.

\|||/
(o o)
+--ooO-( )-Ooo------------------------------------------+
| Christian Aperghis-Tramoni |
| |
| Case Postale 901 Tel : (33) 04 91 82 92 49 |
| 163 Avenue de Luminy SFR : (33) 06 18 93 10 70 |
| 13288 Marseille Cedex 09 Fax : (33) 04 91 82 92 75 |
| France Mel : ch...@dil.univ-mrs.fr |
/) ch...@aperghis.net
/ ) WEB : http://www.dil.univ-mrs.fr/~chris ( Ä
( (+-------------------------------------------------------+) )
((\ \) / ) / ) (/ //)
(\\\ \_/ / \ \_/ ///)
\ / \ /
___\___/__________________________________________________\___/________
print join('',map({$i=1-$i;$a=$i?10*$_."\b\b":pack"c",$a+$_+0x16}split
(//,"5110789279758710838810587992861093898779948387799310")),"...\n");

Jens Rieks

May 24, 2005, 6:59:36 AM5/24/05
to perl6-i...@perl.org, chris, ro...@adampreble.com
On Tuesday 24 May 2005 07:13, ro...@adampreble.com wrote:
> I am curious if there are any recent slides and notes for recent talks
> about Perl 6, language, how it will work, and the same for Parrot. I've
> caught a few old slides from almost a year ago for a few things, but not
> much. I am preparing a little presentation over here, and I'm trying to
> determine if I'm missing anything important worth presenting. Slides and
> notes would also be a concise way to catch up on details I think I'm
> missing -- particularly the VM details.
I'am preparing a (german) presentation about Perl6, for the austrian perl
workshop. The basic outline should be ready within the next few days, I can
then mail you a copy if you want; it has nothing todo with parrot's VM,
though.
There are two other perl 6 presentations at
http://svn.openfoundry.org/pugs/docs/talks/

"Perl 6 The Ultimate" (Chinese) by Autrijus Tang and
"Perl 6, genau jetzt!" (German) by Ingo Blechschmidt.

On Tuesday 24 May 2005 10:11, chris wrote:
> I have power point slides I did use for a course on parrot machine and
> assembly language for my students. With many examples.
> They are in french. I can send you the file if you want.

Can I get a copy, too? :-)

jens

ro...@adampreble.com

May 24, 2005, 11:56:00 PM5/24/05
to chris, Perl 6 Internals
Post them anyways.

We have a Frenchman in my group that would normally be able to translate.
However, he is on vacation (holiday?) in France and might not be back in time
for the presentation. I'll take the slides anyway and see what magic I can
attempt. I know somebody I suspect grew up in Quebec who might help.

ro...@adampreble.com

May 24, 2005, 11:59:20 PM5/24/05
to Jens Rieks, perl6-i...@perl.org, chris
Quoting Jens Rieks <par...@jensbeimsurfen.de>:

> On Tuesday 24 May 2005 07:13, ro...@adampreble.com wrote:
>> I am curious if there are any recent slides and notes for recent talks
>> about Perl 6, language, how it will work, and the same for Parrot. I've
>> caught a few old slides from almost a year ago for a few things, but not
>> much. I am preparing a little presentation over here, and I'm trying to
>> determine if I'm missing anything important worth presenting. Slides and
>> notes would also be a concise way to catch up on details I think I'm
>> missing -- particularly the VM details.
> I'am preparing a (german) presentation about Perl6, for the austrian perl
> workshop. The basic outline should be ready within the next few days, I can
> then mail you a copy if you want; it has nothing todo with parrot's VM,
> though.
> There are two other perl 6 presentations at
> http://svn.openfoundry.org/pugs/docs/talks/
>
> "Perl 6 The Ultimate" (Chinese) by Autrijus Tang and
> "Perl 6, genau jetzt!" (German) by Ingo Blechschmidt.

I distinctly get the impression that I'm on of the few dumb Americans
participating in all this. So far, there hasn't been a single
English-language
presentation offered. Anyhow, I know somebody who can translate German, and a
few that could translate Chinese. I'll see what they can manage with these
files. However, I'm completely unfamiliar with the .spork format, and I'm
fraid of what google will tell me it is.

Chromatic

May 25, 2005, 2:11:33 AM5/25/05
to ro...@adampreble.com, p6i
On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 23:59 -0400, ro...@adampreble.com wrote:

> I distinctly get the impression that I'm on of the few dumb Americans
> participating in all this. So far, there hasn't been a single
> English-language presentation offered.

I gave a talk on Parrot SDL last year. It may be helpful, but the point
is mostly on programming PIR and SDL, not as much about the design of
Parrot:

http://www.wgz.org/chromatic/talks/parrot_sdl/

-- c

BÁRTHÁZI András

May 25, 2005, 2:44:59 AM5/25/05
to chromatic, ro...@adampreble.com, p6i
Hi,

I've found another presentation:
http://mail.pm.org/pipermail/grand-rapids-pm-list/2003-November/000367.html

Shouldn't we make a list about these presentations?

Bye,
Andras

Yuval Kogman

May 25, 2005, 6:25:12 AM5/25/05
to ro...@adampreble.com, Jens Rieks, perl6-i...@perl.org, chris
> However, I'm completely unfamiliar with the .spork format, and I'm
> fraid of what google will tell me it is.

Spork is 'slide presentation (only really kwiki)'.

What it does is let you write slides in a kwiki like language.

A quick introduction would be to get it from the CPAN, do 'spork
-make' and then 'spork -start', fudging the config.yaml so that the
'spork -start' command works OK, and then looking at the default
presentation. It's a quick intro to spork.

From there on it's really just editing the Spork.slides file, which
is really very simple, and playing around with plugin classes.

--
() Yuval Kogman <nothi...@woobling.org> 0xEBD27418 perl hacker &
/\ kung foo master: *shu*rik*en*sh*u*rik*en*s*hur*i*ke*n*: neeyah!!!!

Matt Diephouse

May 25, 2005, 9:56:58 AM5/25/05
to ro...@adampreble.com, perl6-i...@perl.org
ro...@adampreble.com wrote:
> I distinctly get the impression that I'm on of the few dumb Americans
> participating in all this. So far, there hasn't been a single
> English-language
> presentation offered.

Dan Sugalski posted some slides he presented last August:

http://www.sidhe.org/~dan/presentations/Parrot_Implementation.pdf

I have an old Perl 6 presentation, but it's at least 3 years old, very
badly out of date, and it wasn't a great presentation to begin with.

--
matt diephouse
http://matt.diephouse.com