Re: GSOC 2012

Andy Lester

Mar 27, 2012, 12:53:49 PM3/27/12
to Andrew Whitworth, parro...@lists.parrot.org, Perl6 Internals

On Mar 27, 2012, at 11:51 AM, Andrew Whitworth wrote:

> Also since TPF didn't get into GSOC this year, Parrot is willing to
> host Rakudo-related projects.

This surprised me when I saw the list of projects. Do you know why TPF didn't get in? Were they not accepted? Or did they not apply? Or a combination of the two?

xoa

--
Andy Lester => an...@petdance.com => www.petdance.com => AIM:petdance

Andrew Whitworth

Mar 27, 2012, 12:51:54 PM3/27/12
to parro...@lists.parrot.org, Perl6 Internals
GSOC 2012 is upon us. If any members of the Parrot community are
enrolled as students and want to get paid to hack on parrot for the
summer, please consider applying. You need to be over 18 and enrolled
as a student somewhere. "Non-traditional" older students may apply as
well. Students who have done GSOC in previous years are welcome to
participate again.

I've heard from a handful of prospective students so far, but would
really like to hear from more. The proposal deadline is April 6 (Next
Friday). The best proposals are drafted, receive feedback and are
iterated upon before final submission, so now is the time to get
started.

Also please put the word out. Let friends, families, coworkers and
neighbors know about the program. People get money and Parrot gets
code, so more applicants and more projects create benefit for
everybody involved. Feel free to send any interested students to me
(or any other mentor) for information.

Also since TPF didn't get into GSOC this year, Parrot is willing to
host Rakudo-related projects.

As an ecosystem there is lots of work that we need and lots more than
we want, so we can definitely find projects to suit most student
interests and skill sets.

Thanks,

--Andrew Whitworth

Will Coleda

Mar 27, 2012, 1:02:19 PM3/27/12
to Andy Lester, Andrew Whitworth, Perl6 Internals, parro...@lists.parrot.org

They did apply and were rejected. A GSOC IRC meeting to discuss
rejection reasons has probably already happened, but I haven't seen a
summary.

--
Will "Coke" Coleda

Andy Lester

Mar 27, 2012, 1:06:22 PM3/27/12
to Brandon Allbery, Andrew Whitworth, parro...@lists.parrot.org, Perl6 Internals

On Mar 27, 2012, at 12:04 PM, Brandon Allbery wrote:

> This surprised me when I saw the list of projects. Do you know why TPF didn't get in? Were they not accepted? Or did they not apply? Or a combination of the two?
>
> Google seems to have gone for some new blood and dumped some old timers to make room; dunno if this applies to TPF, I know MacPorts got rejected solely on that basis though.

Sorry, I didn't mean to stir this all up again. I retract my query in hopes it will stanch the impending meta-discussions.

Thanks,
xoxo,
Andy

Brandon Allbery

Mar 27, 2012, 1:04:31 PM3/27/12
to Andy Lester, Andrew Whitworth, parro...@lists.parrot.org, Perl6 Internals
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 12:53, Andy Lester <an...@petdance.com> wrote:

> On Mar 27, 2012, at 11:51 AM, Andrew Whitworth wrote:
> > Also since TPF didn't get into GSOC this year, Parrot is willing to
> > host Rakudo-related projects.
>
> This surprised me when I saw the list of projects. Do you know why TPF
> didn't get in? Were they not accepted? Or did they not apply? Or a
> combination of the two?

Google seems to have gone for some new blood and dumped some old timers to
make room; dunno if this applies to TPF, I know MacPorts got rejected
solely on that basis though.

--
brandon s allbery allb...@gmail.com
wandering unix systems administrator (available) (412) 475-9364 vm/sms